1999 honda 130 timing belts melted

russellvz

Recruit
i have a 1999 honda 130 motor and was cruising the open waters around 4500 rpm when all of the sudden the engine quit.i took off the cover and then took off the timing belt cover to discover my belts were like melted or shredded and the engine was hot . i called a honda dealer to check the warranty and they replyed it was mud daubbers in the timing belts made the engine jump time and thats what locked up the engine. i brought the boat to them and a week later they said was dirt daubers in that compartment. i said where are they ? honda said they cleaned them off already.well i took off the head since honda said it wasnt warrantied unless it was a cracked block or head.the honda dealer was not gonna check it out unless i paid 65.00 an hour.the head and valves appear to be ok but what made the engine burn the valves? theres no water in the oil and the cranck shaft turns the motor easy. have any clues to what happened?:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 honda 130 timing belts melted

There are a whole lot of possibilites here .The mud dauber theory is one of them but quite a stretch.Has this powerhead been previously updated?What did that dealer do for you before you took the boat home and decided to pull the head?Did anyone remove the exhaust cover to inspect the block?When is the last time you adjusted the valves or checked that belt tension?When you removed that head,PLEASE, tell me you did it the exact oppisite of the installation process.