vro problem 1997 150 ocean pro

insomniac71

Cadet
motor has started running like crap at idle...excessive smoking, missing and stalling. 2 days ago my low oil buzzer sounded so i stopped pulling pots and came in early and added a gallon of oil before i went out yesterday. while working yesterday for about 5 hours the low oil buzzer sounds again...i'm thinking to myself already no way so i check the bottle and its low so i come home early again. this time i change the plugs and top off the bottle ...2 gallons. today i go out motor at idle is running worse everyday....today it doesn't want to stay at idle it wants to keep stalling. after pulling some pots about 2 hours i check the bottle and it's about 1/4 gone and i thinking there's no way.... i've only burned about 5 gallons of fuel at this point. anyway motor seems to be blowing excessive smoke at idle wanting to sputter and stall. it runs fine as long as i'm running but uses alot of oil no matter what it seems to me. any suggestions for the problem??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: vro problem 1997 150 ocean pro

The pump will over-oil if the gasoline supply is limited by any means. Look for an obstruction; could be the vent, the anti-siphon valve or the fuel filter.

You also should have a vacuum switch that would sound a constant alarm if there is a fuel obstruction.

The over-oiling would foul the firing chambers and plugs quickly.

insomniac71

Cadet

bypassed the vro and went to mix just to see what would happen...motor started right up and ran sweet for 2 days and now its back to the same thing. hard to start....running rough and stalling. when i pump the ball it is slow to release....staying sucked in longer than normal. where is this anit syphon thing located.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Certainly sounds like a restriction somewhere. What is your tank set up ????

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The anti-siphon valve is in the outflow fitting at the top of the fuel tank.

It is usually a spring and ball bearing designed to prevent the fuel in the tank from being siphoned out if there is a break or leak in the fuel line. They are easily clogged.

If the the engine and fuel fittings are all above the top of the tank, the anti-siphon valve is not required.

insomniac71

Cadet

all fittings are on top of the tank. just went down the boat with a seperate can of gas to bypass the tank and fuel water sep to see if it would run better. 5 gallons of fresh mix and 2 different primer bulb lines and no change. i think i eliminated the restriction theory. i unscrewed the fuel connection at the motor and that was clean. stumped unless the fuel pump is going up. just weird that i bypassed the oil on the vro and it ran great for 2 trips then back to the same crap but now even worse. while the motor is running if i pump the prime ball to much it stalls out is that normal??? i def think i have a fuel problem...maybe fuel pump???? gonna check compression and spark tomorrow but last time out i was working my last string of pots the motor started hesitating when taking off after idling for a bit but ran sweet while running in...30mph @4000 rpm. i just dont get it...now it wont even stay running.

jonesg

Admiral

I have a 1994 J 150, don't know if its a different system from yours...

when I pump the bulb it gets firm , when the bowls are full the floats closes the valve , it sounds like yours isn't shutting off the incoming fuel.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Pumping the primer bulb should not stall the engine unless: (1) The floats valves are not closing when the float bowls are filled; (2) your primer solenoid is leaking fuel which would flood the engine; or, (3) the fuel pump membrane is ruptured, allowing fuel to flow into the engine through the pulse line.

Check (1) by taking the cover off the carburetors and squeezing the primer bulb to see if there is fuel flow into the carburetor throats.

Check (2) by making sure the red pointer is in line with the cylindrical part of the solenoid. No fuel should get past the solenoid unless the ignition key is pushed in.

Check (3) by disconnecting the pulse line and squueezing the primer bulb; there should be no fuel in the pulse line.

insomniac71

Cadet

well i tried everything possible before buying the vro....turns out that was the problem. motor is running and the oil injection is hooked back up. at an idle there is still like a miss but not all the time...every few seconds and then like alittle puff of smoke from the exhaust.

Jayboid

Seaman Apprentice

With your recent problems and your frequent low rpm operation, you are possibily due for a decarb, if you have never done one. The decarb instructions are located in the Engine Frequently Asked Questions FAQ folder.