blue fin rebuild

signguy1

Cadet
Hello all I'm new to the forums was wondering if I could get some help , I was given a 1988 blue fin model 1950 sportsman from a friend he told me that it needed a new engine and the floor needed to be redone, I was wondering if it would be worth it to fix the boat its aluminium and looks real sharp from the outside and the only spots of the floor that I found soft was up in the bow by the consoles was wondering if I should just replace there , I will upload some photos when my wife gets home with the camera thanks alot in advance,

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: blue fin rebuild

Since it's aluminum the job should be relatively easy, It's much less work and money to replace a floor in an AL boat than F/G one. Is it an I/O or outboard?

jcsercsa

Captain

If you like the looks of her and your not afraid of some work , then sure go for it !! you will know more then a lot of guys out there !!! and you sure come to the right place , there are some of the best people on here !!!!!!!! we are all here to help all we can !! so keep use post !! john

signguy1

Cadet

OK so i just got back from doing a little cleaning on the boat and found out that the transom is shot, A friend from work told me no big deal a coupl hour job so that made me feel better. It has the omc cobra outdrive on it powered by a 4cyl ford 2.3 I believe, the local marina told me that that type of engine is near impossible to find and i should upgrade to a 3.0 merc, I was wondering I have a friend who owns a junkyard with about 10 2.3 enginges from ford tempos what would it take to make it marine? any help would be great , Im going to take pictres tomorrow and start posting, I like the looks of the boat it's a nice deep v My only concern is my main boating spot is the hudson river in NY which is brackish water where I am , any help would be great thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For good info on that go over to the I/O section of the forums, the good folks over there should be able to get you started in the right direction.

signguy1

Cadet

ok so I finally got the project rolling this wek, I have almost complaetely gutted the old interior out of the boat consoles carpet, the previous owner screwed 3/4 ply down to the rotting original deck so that has been fun pulling all the rotted pieces out, it is almost complete thous so I am happy about that. I go and pick up a new engine this weekend and hopefully once that is here I can pull the old engine and do a swap and get the new engine fired up and running. I saved the old consoles to use as emplates as well as the front bow sections with the cooler and live well, was wondering if any one had any ideas for seating? dint want to go back to the lounge seats but I have 2 young boys well any help would be great I will post pictures soon, thanks alot