"High milage" alpha/merc 181

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi

I have a mercruiser 3,0 w alpha 1 gen 2 with around 300 hours on it

What is the highest number of running hours you have seen on a Alpha 1 / Merc 181?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: "High milage" alpha/merc 181

I have seen over 2,000....

My old 4.3 had over 1,000hrs when I sold it and it was still running strong... I still maintain it for the guy who bought it off me.

Chris........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

around 300 hours on it

That's nothing, just past being broken in, still young if any kind of reasonable care was given to it.
At only 300 hours, it would probably be ok if NO maintenance was done, but it needs some before use again. What year is it?

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It`s a 2006 year model

I run it in FW (and it also has closed coollibg system) i change oil and filter every 100 hours/end of year - Gear Oil is also changed every year alignment checked gimbal splines etc greased etc etc

I was just told that i shouldent expect more than 5-800 hours of service from it (from a local marine workshop)

My Mercruiser sits in a rather light boat (b-l 175) and i use it for long trips on "my" lake it often runs 2800-3500 rpm for several hours - wery rarely the engine is above 4000 rpm as i dont need it - it is more than fast enough running 3000 rpm

I work with Truck engines every day (mecanic) and i was a little surprised that a well serviced Merc 3,0 shouldent last any longer than 5-800 hours

BTW i only use Mercruiser semi-syntetic 25w-40 oil on the engine and only use Mercruiser premium gear lube (the blue stuff) on the drive. All spare parts oil filters etc. are also original parts I dont want to experiment with "grey" market parts on my boat.

When i winterize the engine next month i will give it a water pump kit and pressure test the outdrive - just as a "normal" service i will also check bellows etc.

If you considder the running conditions and service of my engine i would have expected it to run at least 2-3000 hours before any major repairs wouldent you?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any problems with getting 2-3000 hours out of it with some care.
I would keep an eye on the gear lube, if it looks really black (burned) and smells a little burned, you might want to look into a drive shower too keep the upper cooler on those long runs.

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the answers

I newer noticed any issues with the gearoil - it looks like new oil when i drain it and dosent smell burned etc - and the upper part is not more than "hand warm" after several hours cruise with 28-3500 rpm - the water in "my" lake here in scandinavia is also rather cold (max 60-70 `f often colder) - but i will keep an eye on the gear oil

Also thank you for the trick with the "anti tamper device" i made that modification after reading the "fary tale" story and - wow - it was like a new engine after richening the idle mixture a little - i just wonder why that "anti tamper device" is installed on a scandinavian mercruiser since we dont have those EPA regulations.