Starter problems?

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice
Frist Hello to all!!

You guys have been great and i have learned alot from all of you!Thank you

I have a pro-line 1982 has a 485 merc. it was running great then the starter seemed to drag and was wiping out the batterys so i got a new starter, the starter that was on the boat when got it was a abco starter, the local part shop carried merc parts the part that was on was a 50143 and the replacement part is a 50-94799R3, With selinoid my old one had a separt,

i removed the old starter and sel, and installed the new one but now it wont start with the key and the bendix wont fully engage when jumped out. did i miss something or do it wrong?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter problems?

Most boats use a remote relay/solenoid to trigger the starter solenoid mounted on the starter.

The long wiring run to the ignition switch cannot carry the current required to operate the starter mounted solenoid.

Reinstall the remote relay.

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice

Hello CharlieB and thank you

The old starter did not have a selinoid just a hot leg , the old selinoid was mounted on the side of the motor and had two wires coming to that plus the lead from the batt. a yellow wire on S and a wire from the coil on the I trem the new starter had R and S terms plus hot lead from batt. built in bar connector for starter. do i put the old one back on? and how would i wire it?
Thank you
David

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First of all, it's Solenoid, not selinoid.
The 85 and newer models had a solenoid mounted on the starter. The 82 485 had a starter without a solenoid on it.
You have the wrong starter.

rangerdave4

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Don,
So i sould get the abco starter and replace the soleniod that was there?
Spelling has never been one of my best features LOL
Thank you!
David