outdrive stuck in gear after a impeller swap

jeepinjz

Cadet
Was going to help a buddy of mine put a new impeller in a mercruiser out drive and buy the time I got there he was done and now its in forward no neutral he dropped it out in neutral what do I need to do to get it in neutral and working correctly

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: outdrive stuck in gear after a impeller swap

Did he simply drop the lower unit to do the job? If so, pull it back off, put the control in forward, and the drive in forward, make sure everything is in place and lined up and reinstall. Simple! :D

PS - Make sure to turn the prop counterclockwise as you put the lower in forward gear - then keep pressure on the prop to keep it from going back out of gear as you install it.

jeepinjz

Cadet

Did he simply drop the lower unit to do the job? If so, pull it back off, put the control in forward, and the drive in forward, make sure everything is in place and lined up and reinstall. Simple! :D

PS - Make sure to turn the prop counterclockwise as you put the lower in forward gear - then keep pressure on the prop to keep it from going back out of gear as you install it.

may sound bad but how do you put the outdrive in forward I have the shifter in forward

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You turn the shift shaft clockwise (looking down at it from the top - pictured below). Turn the prop counterclockwise until it locks in place. It is now in forward. Don't forget the washer - also pictured below - or you will be doing it again. ;)

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

jeepinjz

Cadet

You turn the shift shaft clockwise (looking down at it from the top - pictured below). Turn the prop counterclockwise until it locks in place. It is now in forward. Don't forget the washer - also pictured below - or you will be doing it again. ;)

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

Got it a fixed Thanks