wiring for 72 60 horse evenrude

kmann

Cadet
where do the 3 wires from the power pack hook up at?
if someone has picture would appreciate

Last edited:

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wiring for 72 60 horse evenrude

As far as I know there is no 60hp from 1972. If you have a 60hp and not a 65Hp it is more likely a 1970 or 71. If so I can help you!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Post a model number - the ignition systems on the two motors are different, so its hard to help without knowing which one you have.

kmann

Cadet

the prt # on the power pack or amplifyer, not sure what it is called is 60b2001
the motor # is 60173c.
I have been in contact over the phone with a guy who repairs motors, he told me to unplug the wire that goes from pack to up under the fly wheel,if it sparks then the pack is good acoording to him. the wires on the pack were either fried or the rubber insulation over years dry rotted, they crumbled in my hand. I retaped them, so really not sure what color they are.
I do know which one is the green one tho.
The motor will turn over but no spark the plugs. Any and help will be apreciated. Also if it would be easier to talk in person call me at 618-406-7853, cingular cell, I will return your call so it will not cost you. thankyou

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

That model number corresponds to a 1971 Evinrude 60hp motor.

Your ignition sustem has a 9 amp stator, a distributor, base, breaker points and an amplifier assembly. The 1972 models have a 6 amp stator, a timer base and a power pack. I don't think your motor has a power pack in it.

I'm going to wait for others to advise you on the particulars of your motor, because I haven't worked on that style of ignition system. What I will say is that if you have wiring with insulation that is crumbling in your hand, you should probably consider replacing it entirely. Whether or not it is practical and/or possible to do that without replacing the compnents, I don't know. Again, I'll defer to others that know this motor better than I.

Before you get into spending a bunch of money on your motor, I will offer my standard advice on the matter - check it out mechanically and check out the shift system. I would start with a compression test and a pressure test on the gear box. Drain some gear oil to check for presence of water and/or metal shavings. If you have been using the motor and know that it shifts properly, concerns about the hydro-electric shift system may not be a factor. If this motor is new to you, and you do not know whether or not the shift system works, you need to find out. If you need to add any gear oil, be sure to use the proper type, which is Type C, or its current Equivalent - Premium Blend.

I'll watch the thread to see if there are areas in which I might have some usable advice. Until then, I'm sure a few of the guys will offer some good direction to you.

kmann

Cadet

I think you are right it is a amplifyer, that is what the insulation crumbled in my fingers, also does anyone have any used prts that will fit on this motor.
thankyou , need all info and help