Bilge Plug Draining

taviking22

Cadet
Being a neophyte boat owner, I find that at the end of each outing when I pull my boat out of the water and while still on the slope of the ramp, when I pull the bilge plug, a gallon or so of water comes out.

I don't have waves breaking up over the gunnels, don't have the wake breaking over the transom with sudden stops. When I run the bilge pump while boating, nothing is pumped out.

So, do I have a small hull leak or is there another source for this water? It probably takes about 3-4 hours for this bilge water to accumulate. Need I be concerned?

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bilge Plug Draining

A gallon of water after 4 hours tells me that you do have a small leak somewhere. The bilge pump isn't getting it because of the angle the boat is floating. If it is an aluminum boat and has rivets, one of those could be leaking. Newer boats are mostly welded . I would also look carefully an any thru the hull fitting,such as livewell,etc. My livewell pump fitting was leaking this summer and I had to replace it. If you can see the thru hull fittings while the boat is in the water you might see a small trickle. Another way is to put water in the boat while it is on the trailer and look for drips. Be careful to not overload the trailer with too much water. I usually raise and lower the tongue to check each end---that way you don't have to use too much water. Good luck----John

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just saw that this a new boat-----One other option is the water could be getting in there where you park it. If it is kept outside, raise the bow as high as necessary so any rain or condensation can drain out.

taviking22

Cadet

A gallon of water after 4 hours tells me that you do have a small leak somewhere....
Good luck----John

Good call, woodduck17, on a possible leak!

My Tracker dealership saw my original post in this forum, so sent me an e-mail basically saying to bring the boat in as has a slow leak somewhere. That's what I call a responsive dealer/service manager!! Always good to have that new boat warranty!

Anyone looking for a Tracker boat, I can highly recommend Tracker Marine @ BassPro Shop in Council Bluff, Iowa! They got in touch with me about this before I got in touch with them.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could also be coming in around one of the motor mounting bolts.