tools?

craigar

Recruit
Hello everyone this is my first post.I've had a 1961 40 hp RDS-23 Johnson for the past 20 yrs,but never worked on it myself because although I've worked on cars for years this motor looked strange to say the least.Now that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find someone to work on it,I purchased a manual and I'm about to tackle changing the points,coils,condensers,and plug wires.My question is about the puller.In the manual it says I need a flywheel puller #378103 which seems to have special bolts that screw into the flywheel.On one of the many threads I have read on this site over the last couple of weeks one of them said to use a harmonic balancer puller.Is this the same tool ,if not will it still work and if not is the specified puller and other
specialized tools still available?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: tools?

The harmonic balancer puller works fine, as long as you get Grade 8 bolts and washers. The OEM puller, however, is available, either from your local Evinruded dealer or online from ishopmarine.com or other OMC parts outlets. It's about $75.

The harmonic balance puller is a lot cheaper, and available at your local automotive parts store. The Grade 8 bolts you can get from a well-stocked Ace Hardware.

craigar

Recruit

OK great ,thanks,Im trying to get old Betsy running before the summer runs out..........

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The harmonic puller will work fine, It's the bolt's that can be a problem. The correct puller use's what is called a shouldered stripper bolt. You are turning down into what is a 1/4-20 thread in aluminum. No matter what grade straight bolt you are using, all the stress is on the aluminum thread, hence the shouldered bolt. These bolts can be bought at a machine supply house, or ordered by them. Your flywheel is pulled down to 105 ft/lb, you could well pull out the threads in the flywheel, then you have a mess. Get the harmonic puller, but use the proper bolt, you will be glad you did. Someone is going to come back with, I use a straight bolt all the time, Well! run into a tight flywheel.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What the difference in the threads of the shouldered stripper bolt and the straight bolt?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The threads are the same, but you are pulling up to a shoulder. You could do the same thing this way! The puller use's three bolts. Get 6 nuts for the bolts you are using. Put the bolt thru the puller, and thread on two nuts leaving 1/2 " thread exposed at the end of the bolt, and lock the nuts together. You now have basically the same thing, and all bolts are egual length. Screw into the flywheel tightly up to the locked nuts. You will have egual tension on all three bolts. Using a straight bolt makes it easy to screw the bolts in unegual lengths. This puts more tension on the shortest bolt, possibly pulling out the threads.Does this make sense? For the head of the bolt get the heaviest washer you can find, or double them up.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thanks!
I use the shoulder bolts because it's easier to use them and get things straight, but was just wondering if the threads were different.

craigar

Recruit

Thanks for all the info on the bolts,I assume a shouldered bolt is a bolt with the washer attached under the head ? I agree with the fact that aluminium
is dangerous to work with because it strips so easily,and care should be taken
when inserting the bolts (equal length).I got a few bolts from the local ford dealer that are grade 5(he said they were more than strong enough to pull a flywheel,they are straight bolts but I doubled up the washers it looks like it will work fine.The problem now is after I took off the big nut( I used a 1 1/16
impact socket on an electric impact gun that way I didn't have to worry about holding the flywheel) and that funny looking washer with the fins,
I noticed that one of the three bolts was sheared off in the flywheel.I had the points and coils changed about 10 yrs ago at the local marina.I don't know if it was sheared off prior to the repair.There seems to be a weld burn
right next to the sheared bolt.I assume they welded a bolt to the flywheel
to pull it then cut it off afterward.Anyway a bit of a mess I doubt that I will be able to remove the broken bolt from the flywheel but I'm going to try.If not I'm going back to the marina to see what they can do.Last option is a new flywheel I looked quickly on the internet but couldn't find one.Are they still available and do I have to buy the whole thing or just the top part ?