How much?

godfather318

Cadet
I think I'm going to sell my 85Hp chrysler(model #857HE) outboard. If anyone has a site where I might find what the vaule is on this motor I would appreciate it. I have had the motor 8 years now and have completey had the power head rebuilt and bored out 30 over on each of the 3 cylinders, new starter, timing belt, rebuilt carbs, prop great shape, new impeller and housing, lower unit gears and shaft great shape and new lower unit oil.

I have been trying to find out a fair vaule because I might have a potential buyer already but I also don't want to give my baby away for nothing. Also if it's not going to sell for a decent $ amount I think I might end up parting it out seeing as parts get harder to find, any help you guys can give I will take into consideration.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much?

Take anything you can get over $400. If you can't get $4-500, then consider parting it out.

"Fair price" depends on the local market, time of year, and naivety (in this case- lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment). I would think you could get $800 at the start of the boating season.

But this year, the market is way down, about 35% on motors, and it is the end of the season.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you selling motor, controlls ect..? Does it have tilt and trim? If you have all of the above, aution it off on E-bay with a reserve price. Addvertise the sale at other sites. Also your location for pick up and shipping costs added on to the sale price. Also what you have done or repaired or replaced on it.

RRitt

Captain

you'll never sell it for an amount equal to or greater than your cost of maintenance. Maintenance/repair does not increase the value of an engine, it only maintains it. Any outboard is a money pit if you don't maintain it well enough to avoid the big ticket items.

With that said:
Forces are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap to sell. If you don't save money going into Force and then don't back it up with saving money on maintenance then Force is just as big a money pit as any other outboard needing high dollar service.

If it was me ... you wouldn't help your case by giving me a laundry list of recent work. The biggest thing that says to me is that the motor wasn't very well maintained ... otherwise ... why did it need the laundry list? So it still stays at the same price as an average engine. Maybe I get lucky and you caught everything ... maybe not.

godfather318

Cadet

you'll never sell it for an amount equal to or greater than your cost of maintenance. Maintenance/repair does not increase the value of an engine, it only maintains it. Any outboard is a money pit if you don't maintain it well enough to avoid the big ticket items.

With that said:
Forces are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap to sell. If you don't save money going into Force and then don't back it up with saving money on maintenance then Force is just as big a money pit as any other outboard needing high dollar service.

If it was me ... you wouldn't help your case by giving me a laundry list of recent work. The biggest thing that says to me is that the motor wasn't very well maintained ... otherwise ... why did it need the laundry list? So it still stays at the same price as an average engine. Maybe I get lucky and you caught everything ... maybe not.

Thanks all for the great advice, and rrit I did all of the above mentioned the second year I owned it. I bought my boat from someone and like you said I didn't know how well the previous owner maintained it so I used it the first season and everything ran great, but over the winter I figured what the hell and changed out all the lower end then seeing as I went that far I figured what the hell replace the power head, that way I knew that the motor was like new again and have had many great boating years since then. also a local guy in my town had all the parts needed for these chryslers and that also played into me redoing the outboard, as these get older parts are going to get scarce.

Also I posted all that info here because everyone always seems to give the right advice and I wanted a third party input before I made a decision as to sell my baby or not, thanks agin for posting!