ITS DONE.. well for this season

zach103

Commander
Alright here it is.. its not done but no project is ever done. anyone have any tips or constructive critisism. ideas thoughts. stuff i can add or need to add. thanks guys

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

redfury

Commander
Re: ITS DONE.. well for this season

Well, constructive criticism can be pretty harsh, but it's better said with honesty than not.

A few things from me. I like the boat from what I can see, it's a good style, I can see why you put an effort into it. Obviously still have some rigging to do, and I can assume this is mostly a pleasure boat, very light fishing if it happens at all? The windshield side supports come way back and the bench seat and front table tell me this. You may want to consider installing a way to secure a cooler in there, as I would assume that one will accompany the boat on occasion. I think I'd probably want to find money in my budget to pop for some nicer seats for the pedestals ( http://www.iboats.com/New_Centric_II_from_Attwood/dm/dz.36146--view_id.471410 ) These are what I'll be saving up for when I outfit my boat.

The rear bench could really use a restretch/staple in those corners. A heat gun would help tremendously to get that contour without the ripples. I like the snap down carpet...can't tell if it's heavy enough to avoid getting waves in it from distorting from walking on it over time...time will tell, at least it isn't glued down so it will be easy enough to replace.

I can't tell in the second to last picture...did the boat originally have some kind of jump seats that flipped up?

jcsercsa

Captain

HAy zach103, nice job on the floor and the carpet, it really does look good!!! I do also love the layout of her !! I like the bench seat , I do agree with redfury, on the restitching of the red part of the seats , and a place in there for a cool would really be a good idea !! is that battier strapped down ?? other then that she really does look great !! John

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I like the rear bench seats and front table - both have been on the list to add to my own boat. Those will be winter projects.

Nice helm, too.

zach103

Commander

i got the table free from those free boats i found than just painted it with non skid.. the top part of the bench as you can see flips up . im gunna try and make a set up for one in there . the batteries are not strapped down yet or in the box. i need to figure out why im not getting any power anymore.... the seats were gifts from the girlfriend so cant say no to that and better than the last ones.. the carpet is just regular indoor/outdoor from lowes.. so it'll be the test subject for everyone lol... and how exactly do i fix the bench. i have the heat gun just no clue what to do.. thanks guys

jcsercsa

Captain

that table really does look good there , on the vinyl all you have to do is heat strech and tack , then move a little farther down and do the same , you should be able to get then waves right out !! just take you time and dont put to much heat , you might even get some of them out by just using the heat gun now to it it might shrink it a little !! John

zach103

Commander

yah tomor im going to try and shorten the support for the table its a little high.. . ill try the heat gun and tell you how it comes out

zach103

Commander

no jump seats bench is original i believe. the top part that you see folded up is one whole thing across the top

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good, fix that bench seat a little and get those tools out of there before they tear something ;)

fishrdan

Admiral

Looking good Zack!

Constructive criticism...:D

Look into building a plywood box for the rear bench seat. This will provide much needed storage on the boat and probably be lighter than the 2x4's.

See if you can locate someone with a sewing machine and then sew the covering for the bench seat back rest, you need to use heavy thread, but it will come out looking much better.

On my old boat I did the same as you by just folding the vinyl over for a majority of the panels, but my engine cover needed to be sewn. I broke out the sewing machine and went to town, not perfect, but it fit snugly and looked good from 5' away...

I've used Lowes/Home Depot carpet... It only lasted a few years before falling apart, carpet fibers floating all over the boat. The first time I thought it was because I was leaving my boat cover off and it was baking in the sun, so when I replaced it the second time I kept the cover on the boat when not in use,,, the carpet was falling apart again in 2 years. :mad:

zach103

Commander

so i have no power.. i checked all the connections and their good. i checked the fuses too.. both batteries were just charged too

zach103

Commander

nevermind. it was the stinkin battery. both of them no power at all.. so i hooked up the battery from my lawn tractor and POWER

zach103

Commander

damnt. is it possible to not have a big enough battery to start the engine.. im guessing that the answer is yes but wanna make sure

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes it is possible to have too small batt......

.....zach ...... i can only see one thing that needs to be finished up......

the fiberglass floor walk thru....that is sharp fiberglass....and someones little footies could get hurt....or a toe stubbed....there is a rubber "edging" that goes on there.

if you cant find one asap......just throw another temporary peice of carpet over the area...

good feeling having it finished eh?

cheers bud
oops

zach103

Commander

thanks oops.. yah i actually just put a piece there cuz i kicked it.. the walk thru is like an inch or so above the deck. whats the best way to make it so that its a better transition into the walk thru.

zach103

Commander

oh and yah it feels amazing . even tho ive been out there nit picking at every little thing.. adding the brace for the cooler and what not. . were gunna talk to my dads buddy and see if we can take it out to the local lake for its first real ride :D:D:D:D:D:D:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

an inch or so eh?.....thats too much.....your new deck (floor) height is too low.......walking on the figerglass area (the raised part of the cap) will cause stress cracks over time.....

what i would do....is prepair a chunk of plywood (by coating it with fiberglass....just like the deck).....that is the legnth of the walkspace of the open bow. and also the width of the walk thru....the thickness of the "void" area.....

just stuff it underneath the walkthru....grind down in the front edge of the new plywood so it is at an angle and lay a thin strip of glass over the feathered area.....then carpet it

i hope that doesnt confuse you......its as clear as i can think right now.....(im really tired and my arms are about to fall off from working a long sanding board).

cheers
oops

zach103

Commander

i actually completely understand you.. i know ecactly what your saying.. i got some pieces under there now to support it.. but ill deffinetly do that .. it sounds perfect

zach103

Commander

oh yah

IT STARTED!!!

after a $100 battery and some tuning. scared the s**t out of my mom... I couldn't help but look like this :D

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a good example of what Oops! is talking about. My MFG was done that way underneath the walk-through. Unfotunately for me I had to cut out the walkway to repair the floor. Lucky for you, I've already redone the wood underneath the walk-through...

00000002_edited-1.jpg

You probably can't see it in this pic but there are stress cracks in the radiused corners of the walk-through just as Oops described. They were caused by the floor below and the plywood "reinforcement" under the walk-through glass being rotted out putting too much stress on the corners.

This pic is of the underside of the walk-through...

00000004_edited-1.jpg

The wood that was originally there was not completely glassed in which allowed the stress cracks to let water in and rot the wood. The whole thing is totally glassed in now with new wood.

This is a detail shot from the console end of the walk-through...

00000005_edited-2.jpg

That should give you a better idea of what Oops was talking about. The object is to get the floor to support the walk-through glass by fitting wood (or some other suitable product) between. Of course, making sure it's all sealed from water.

Hope that helps give you a better idea of Oops's reply.

Sorry about the blurry pics! Damn Camera's screwin' up again.