1991 200hp Johnson keeps choking out

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was testing my boat to see if I had a fuel flow restriction in the tank, I filled a five gallon bucket and ran the engine from there. I ran about six miles, until the engine sucked all of the gas from the bucket, and cut off. I tried it again, this time the engine started up, but when I tried to put it into gear it would cut off. Each and every time it would start up and every time I tried to excellerate it would cut off. any Ideas of what is happening. I have been trouble shooting with my manual but I am lost.

one other thing, the PULSE LIMITER on this engine, should you be able to blow through both ends with ease.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 200hp Johnson keeps choking out

First off, you should NEVER run a multi carb engine dry like that, unless you are looking for a new one of course. :)

What was the original issue you were having?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 200hp Johnson keeps choking out

Hopefully you're running oil injection. If so, as you ran out of fuel but kept trying to go the oil pump was adding more oil to compensate for a lean condition. It may have added so much oil the carb bowls were mostly oil.

If you weren't running oil injection you were running out of oil as you ran out of fuel and......well, lets just hope you were running oil injection.