just bought a starfcraft

cruzerman350

Cadet
i just bought a starcraft this afternoon and i don't know anything about it. i bought it for $300. the manifold has been taken off and the spark plugs are out. it is missing a prop but everything else seems to be there and in working order. can anyone tell me anything about it by the pictures? also how do i know what prop to get for it?

thanks
-miles

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: just bought a starfcraft

How's the floor and transom?

Looks like a good deal. The aluminum's worth at least $150 at a scrapyard, and the trailer's worth the other $150, so you did good. Should be a good boat once you get her going. Looks like an 18' Holiday or Islander to me.

cruzerman350

Cadet

floor is brand new and the transom looks fine. its needs a prop and i have no idea which one to get for it. i mean i know its a 15 spline and thats its. any help?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Actually a Super Sport model. Early 1970s judging by the lack of graphics on the hull and MerControl style control box for the motor. Decent boat and most everything you would need can still be gotten. A good marina should have an idea of what prop to put on it... they usually have some sort of look-up to get you close.
- Scott

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Actually a Super Sport model. Early 1970s judging by the lack of graphics on the hull and MerControl style control box for the motor.

Ugh - don't know why I remember thinking that was a closed bow when I typed that last post. Guess I only glanced at the first picture. That's the same model as mine.

As for props, try this:
http://www.dansdiscountprops.com/BuyNow/propWizard.cfm

For my boat, the prop it recommended was already on my outboard. So, it's pretty accurate, I guess. Fun to play around with, if nothing else.

[EDIT: just tried that link, they didn't have anything for the I/O I selected]

Maybe try https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/propSelector/propSel.do
also. Using a 2000+ Alpha 3.0 (the oldest they had) w/ a 2.0 gear ratio, it spit out a 14X23P, 3-blade prop.

cruzerman350

Cadet

cruzerman350

Cadet

what pitch would be the best for it? pitch and size? i dont know enough about boats i guess.

fishrdan

Admiral

Cool looking boat and nice project!

I had a 14 3/4 x 17 prop on my 16.5' 72 SeaSwirl with a Mercruiser 140HP, but I'd bet my boat was a lot heavier than your aluminum hull,,, maybe a 19 pitch? $100 for a new prop is a pretty good.

Since the engine and drive are in unknown condition I would start there, run a compression test, check fluids, check for water in oil (engine and outdrive) check bellows for cracks/holes, remove outdrive (look for water, service gimble bearing and U-joints), replace impeller and water pump housing, change fluids, ignition tune-up. The manifold is going to be a spendy item.

I'm wondering what's going on with the (looks to be 1 1/2") cooling hose that comes off the thermostat housing and goes into never-never land in the bilge? This hose should be a short 90 degree bent hose that connects to the front of the manifold.

To get engine and outdrive answers from the pro's, post another thread in the Mercruiser I/O forum. Lots of knowledge available there.

cruzerman350

Cadet

thanks for the replies and advice on the prop. i have the manifold it just wasnt on when i took the pictures. i got that all back on and that cooling hose does go into an elbow. the exhaust part that goes from the block into the rubber coupler is cracked so i have to get it welded. i just need to figure out what prop to get for it and the rest is easy.

thanks
miles

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 18 Holiday I/O same engine and run a 15 x 21 but I would run a 15 x 19 on your Super Sport. You will have more weight in the bow than me.