88 Four Winns/omc 5.7 charging circuit ??

rboyer224

Cadet
Hello. I'm hoping somebody (Boatin Bob) can help me figure out my chargine circuit. How is the alternator charging the battery? Is it from the alternator P wire, through the splice to the coil via PU/R wire where it meets with the PU/B wire from the starting solenoid? Or the Orange wire from the Alt through the assist solenoid to the starting solenoid? Or am I completely messed up? Thank you.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 Four Winns/omc 5.7 charging circuit ??

Hi Robert,

Do you still have the copy of the schematic?

If you look at the orange wire coming off the POS connection on the alt, That wire goes indirectly to the battery. By indirectly, I mean that it goes to the "hot" side of the "assist" solenoid, thru a 50A fuse, then to the hot side of the starter solenoid, and then to the battery.

By the way, it doesn't "stay" orange....from the alt it's orange, then at the assist solenoid, it becomes RED/PURPLE to the fuse and after the fuse it's PURPLE/WHITE to the starter solenoid and finally RED to the battery. Your colors may vary depending on whether someone replaced them with the wrong colors or from 87 to 88 they changed (not likely)

That wire from the alt will be at least a #10 wire since were talking 50+A max charging current. (it's marked #10 in my 1987 service manual)

If you put a volt meter on the alt, with the key off you should read battery voltage (if charged , approx 12.5V) If the engine is running fast enough to produce a charge, it should be about 1-2 V higher 13.5-14.5V

If you get ZERO voltage check that 50A fuse and all the connections.

Cheers,

Rick

rboyer224

Cadet
Re: 88 Four Winns/omc 5.7 charging circuit ??

Thanks Rick. So that Orange wire is the wire going back and charging the battery? That's good because I'm getting rid of the PU/R wire going from the Alt to the Coil. My new system will provide the necessary voltage to the Postitive side of the coil, I just need to run a switched 12V to the box so that PU/R wire will just be removed. Thanks again.