Johnson 20 hp woodruff key

blakea

Recruit
I have a 1972 2ohp johnson. The woodruff key has sheared flush with the shaft. I cant get it all out as the plate holding the ignition stuff and a collar in the middle of it is in the way. How do I remove it, also what Torque should I tighten the flywheel nut up to when i refit?

Palssonater

Seaman
Re: Johnson 20 hp woodruff key

Not sure what you mean by the ignition coils being in the way.

However, I just replaced a key that was sheared in a 1984 35HP. My key was moon shaped, so I took a chisel and very carelly tapped on the top of the key creating a seat for the chisel end. Once I was confident enough that the tool wouldn't slip, I hit the key piece harder and it rocked right out because of its moon shape.

Torque on my motor was 100 to 120ft lbs. Not sure what yours is, but probably around that spot. Torque is important as you timing is based on the taper of the shaft meeting the flywheel.

blakea

Recruit

Thanks the problem with the coils is that they sit on a base which is mounted on the shaft, the lower part of the woodruff key goes below this plate so you can't access it with a chisel. I need to get the plate off to get the lower bit of the key off. I need to know how to remove this plate.

Xcusme

Commander

I have a 1972 2ohp johnson. The woodruff key has sheared flush with the shaft. I cant get it all out as the plate holding the ignition stuff and a collar in the middle of it is in the way. How do I remove it, also what Torque should I tighten the flywheel nut up to when i refit?

Welcome to iboats.

Did you read this? http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=250879
First off, what is the model number of your motor? Johnson didn't make a 20hp motor in '72.

Could the collar be the point cam?? We're just guessing without the model number.

eavega

Lieutenant

Johnson didn't make a 20hp motor in '72.
Beg to differ, but the online parts site for Johnson/Evenrude shows a 20R72R, as well as the long shaft version...

The 72 Johnson 20 HP looks identical to a '73 25 HP I was scavenging for parts, and that Armature Plate support and retaining ring came off with little problem, although I don't exactly remember how.

-Eric

Xcusme

Commander

Yup, you're right, I'm wrong. My source shows no 20hp for Evinrude for 1972. I didn't switch to the Johnson listings.

I still stand on the 'collar' being the point cam which lifts straight up and off the crank shaft.

blakea

Recruit

will try and get model number when I go to where the boat is but I am sure it starts with 72 which implies a 72 model

blakea

Recruit

Got the plate off at last, there were 2 screws that appear to hold the coils to the plate, but in fact hold the plate on they are the 2 star ones in the middle of the coil. The collar was in fact the cam which was held by the remains of the woodruff key. Thanks for your help.