milky oil

fido

Cadet
1998 baja 232 islander, 454 efi engine, engine oil milky, foamy after using. After a few hours the oil looks normal. Levels seem to be normal. Any ideas if this is normal or not. This is a new boat to me.:confused::confused:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: milky oil

Not normal......
The oil & water are separating, with the water sinking to the bottom of the pan......
I would suspect a bad exhaust manifold/riser or joint between them & water seeping past the rings......
Check your manifolds & do a compression test......;)

fido

Cadet

Supposedly last year the engine oil cooler was replaced, could this be the cause of milky oil? How would I check if I have bad manifolds? Also the oil level is not over full.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm not a mechanic but here goes...

To inspect the manifolds, remove the riser and inspect the passages. Look for blockages, abnormal buildup, etc on the exhaust manifold and the riser junction. Depending on how long water as been seeping into the oil pan and if the motor is not run often, the piston rings may be rusting.

If the oil level is normal, than your most likely passing oil into the compression chamber and burning it. Or, you have an oil leak on the block.

I would remove the risers and post pictures of what you see.

Good luck!!

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well for one thing, get an oil and filter change.

The milky oil could be caused by the manifolds, blown head gasket, cracked engine block, cracked intake manifold...or from the engine oil cooler you mentioned.

Best of Luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since it clears up in a short time, I would bet it's aireated oil, not water in the oil. I've never really seen water seperate from the oil once it's milky, just doesn't happen.
Next time it's milky looking, pump some out into a glass jar, water would seperate out and sink to the bottom.
My bet is the oil is over the full mark and the crankshaft is hitting the oil causing it to aireate and become foamy.

fido

Cadet

thanks for the help guys going to do an oil change tonight, and run it for awhile. Also forgot to mention that this boat was kept in a heated garage during our cold winters, and taken out into the cold.ps what is normol oil presher for this boat.