79' 85hp evinrude and a 17' glaspar

dstorm

Recruit
Don't know whether I have a engine problem, or a boat problem. I have a 1977 glaspar, with a 85hp evinrude. Just got this setup about 2 months ago. Took it out first time it ran about 27 mph (calculated with gps), at 4300rpm's. I dont know if the prop is wrong as i cant read any numbers on it, but it is in good condition. The engine seems to be running smooth when opened up. The only other concern I have is the boat does not seem to really plane good. I am fearing that may be rotted wood or something in hull? I don't know much about glaspar, I am just assuming it is wood and glass beams. The boat seems fairly heavy when trailer'd. Anyone have suggestions this problem, or had a similar problem. I did pull up one of the lounge seats, to find out that the decking under it is very soft.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79' 85hp evinrude and a 17' glaspar

Sorry to hear that. If you are in fact running on all cylinders (easily tested), and you are propped correctly with a good setup, it is very likely that your boat is water logged. That is not good, nor safe. Very likely your floor, stringers, and transom are rotted, but you will not know until further investigation. It will then be up to you if you are ready for the repairs. I can promise you that if in fact all of these need repair, it is a fairly lengthy/expensive procedure, and is more a labour of love. :) That WOT RPM is much too low, you are lugging it, and continuing to do so will harm the motor.

How good a deal did you get on the boat? Best bet might be to find a boat with a blown motor to swap.

D

DJ

1. your boat probably is waterlogged.

2. Running that engine at 4200 (WOT) will kill it-fast. They don't like to lug.

Fix the boat and we'll help on the engine. That engine will outlive several boats if cared for.

dstorm

Recruit

thank you for your quick reply. I will check to make sure all 4 cyl. are firing. It looks as iff the transom board has been replaced ( a DIY job) But looks strong. I have noticed that the boat tends to lean to the left when underway. Not stear to the left, but actually leans.

dstorm

Recruit

I will keep the boat out of water, until i have pulled up the decking and checked. I'd rather save the engine and find a new boat if I have too. I don't know if the cost involved in repairing the boat (if it's waterlogged) is worth it. But i'll know more in a couple days when i have time to look at it all.