Removing lower prop shaft from OMC cobra

bheston

Cadet
I am removing the lower shaft from an OMC Cobra 3.0L to inspect the dog clutch and gears. I have a service manual on order but wanted to get some real world feedback on this process before I started. I have the outdrive removed from the transom bracket. Looking at the lower shaft it appears I'll have to use a puller to remove the bearing housing, is that correct? Will I have to split the upper and lower to get the bottom shaft out? What else does this involve in order to pull the vertical gears up enough to slide the bottom shaft out? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing lower prop shaft from OMC cobra

Is there a problem with the drive that you want to take it apart?
It's not that easy!!!! You will need to split the cases.Then pull the reverse gear assy. Then with a long 7/8 wrench remove the pinion nut by turning the intermediate drive shaft with a pipe wrench (you really need special tools to do this without damaging stuff)
IF!!! you get the nut loose.Then put in a prybar and push the pinion shaft up (might take some force).Replace the nut with NEW!!!!
By the way when you reassemble you will probably need shim tools.So DON"T take it apart,I thought I'd tell you how anyway.Jerry