Impeller on 1965 Johnson VXL-11C

joshp

Cadet
I?m almost done with the work on my old Johnson. It is a 1965 Johnson 60HP VXL-11C. Can any one tell me where the water pump impeller is located and what is the easiest way to access this? This is the last think I have to check before i hit the water. But before I tear into the lower unit Im going to test the impeller with the water ears that connect to a garden hose. My problem is I can't find where the water is pulled into the motor. Where do i connect the water ears. Thanks in advance

joshp

Cadet
Re: Impeller on 1965 Johnson VXL-11C

Ok well I had to remove the lower unit. In doing this I located the impeller and water pump. All parts seem to be in working order. My concer is I see the water pump pulls the water up through a small grate, pumps it through the engine then back down another tube and dumps the water back out a hole right next to the water intake line. This makes using the water flusher ears impossible. Also how is a guy suppose to verifiy he has water pumping through his engine when he is on the water????? :confused:

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Impeller on 1965 Johnson VXL-11C

you will get a good mist almost a stream out of the exhaust. If you have the lu apart change the impeller anyway no matter how it looks if you don't know how long it's been.