VRO fuel/oil pump question

Jayboid

Seaman Apprentice
When you squeeze the gas line primer bulb, are you providing unmixed gas to the carbs?

Another question: Say your vacuum pulse becomes reduced due to a faulty vro air pump, or due to an excessively worn engine that produces weak vacuum pulses from the crankcase. You have a friend pump the gas primer bulb to get up on plane, do some fishing, and head back in to shore. Will your oil/gas mix ratio be the same as if your vro and engine were operating normally? If your vro air pump were totally dead and delivered no pulses, would just pumping the primer bulb fill the float chamber with a correct oil/gas mixture?

As I understand it, gas and oil are both pulled into the mixing chamber by a single piston operated by the air pump from vacuum pulses. When you pump the primer bulb, does all the incoming gas from the primer bulb push that piston pulling the correct amount of oil into the system? Or is some of the primer bulb gas able to bypass the piston resulting in a dangerously low oil to gas ratio?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO fuel/oil pump question

When my VRO pump expired recently I got a mix through by pumping the bulb. I could tell by the colour going into the gas can when I squeezed it. What ratio I could not tell you but it was mixed.

Capt Ken

Commander

If you squeeze the primer bulb, you are pushing raw fuel thru the VRO pump into the carbs. Unless the diaphram is moving in the pump, no oil is delivered thru the oil pump end. Even squeezing the oil tank bulb will not force oil thru the pump. If the pulse gets weak, it still moves the diaphram and both fuel and oil is pump in the correct amounts.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

So even in a properly working engine, pumping the bulb before start up is shooting straight gas into the carbs with no oil??