Fuel Gauge Problem

Rosiemww

Recruit
Just bought boat and have no idea how the fuel gauge was wired. All wires from battery have been spliced and or cut so following is impossible. I have two tanks and a fuel gauge with no wires attached. The gauge has three terminals labeled ( S G I ) and since I have never owned a boat before I am unsure how this should be wired . Can anyone help ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem

S, G, and I stand for Signal, Ground, and Ignition (+12V). Signal is the wire from the sender terminal on the fuel tank. Ground is -- well -- ground. Ignition is +12V when the key is in the ON/RUN position. The metal shell of the fuel tank sender must also be grounded for the system to work.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Trust me it shouldn't be that bad to wire that up, I just got through installing a built in tank and gauge in my bass boat, wasn't that hard.

The only problem will come in when you try to wire the togle switch up to flip from one tank to the other that might be a little screwy. The only other thing to worry about is if the sending units in the tanks are still good or not same with the gauge it might be bad.

Another thing, I wouldn't recommend ripping these wires out that go to the tanks because they might stand a chance on being reused for the rewire.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since you have two tanks, you have two senders and hence there will be two "S" wires heading up front. The fuel selector switch will have three terminals. One tank connects to the top terminal on the switch. The other connects to the bottom terminal. The center terminal connects to the "S" terminal on the gauge.