1953 Evinrude 15HP - Bevel Gears for Throttle

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
I took this motor apart many years ago, and decided to put back together. I cant determine why when I twist the throttle handle, it will allow the driving gear to rotate past the last tooth on the gear, causing the gears to not be engaged to one another. They then have to be aligned again. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1953 Evinrude 15HP - Bevel Gears for Throttle

Sure. They had the same problem 50 years ago. That's why they changed to cast gears in 1956. But for yours, add some plastic washers behind the gears till you get them close together enough that they behave.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem with my early '56 QD-17 10 horse. I rounded up a set of gears off of a '58 FD-12 18 horse. Worked perfectly, much nicer gears.

Cheers....................Todd

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem with my early '56 QD-17 10 horse. I rounded up a set of gears off of a '58 FD-12 18 horse. Worked perfectly, much nicer gears.

Cheers....................Todd

Thanks. I dont understand how this is supposed to work. The driving gear is a half moon and so it runs out of teeth. Could I have assembled incorrectly somehow? (I rebuilt the powerhead back in 94 as a 15 yr old. I recall that the tiller worked properly prior to disassembly:)

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm, half moon you say? I think I misunderstood where your problem is. Are you talking about the gears where the tiller handle folds? Or back where the horizontal throttle shaft in the steering/carry handle bracket transfers through the 90 degree bevel gears to the vertical throttle shaft? If it's back at the bevel gears, maybe you left out the little spacer washer behind the drive gear and it's letting the teeth skip. When you assemble the gears, the first tooth of the drive gear should mesh with the first "groove" in the vertical driven gear. When it does then it's "timed" correctly. If it is where the tiller handle folds then you'll just have to space out the gears like F_R suggested until they mesh reliably. They tend to skip especially when the tiller is folded a bit. Good luck

Cheers.....................Todd

P.S. it occurs to me that your '53 could be completely different from my '56, '57, '58 and I could be all wet!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

sea18, you are correct. I thought he was talkng about where it folds too. You are also correct on the bevel gears' timing. First tooth in first groove.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

sea18, you are correct. I thought he was talkng about where it folds too. You are also correct on the bevel gears' timing. First tooth in first groove.

Sorry, I speaking the bevels not the fold. So I have something missing??

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

Bump.

Also, is this motor supposed to have a oiler wick for the points?

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Something missing?? No. Unless you don't have the rest of the linkage installed. Do you have the verticle shaft in place, with the pin through the bottom of it? And is it connected to the the link to the armature plate at the top? If it is all there, it won't rotate far enough for the gears to disengage.

Yes it is supposed to have an oiler wick, part number 510189. it goes in a retaining clip part number 510188. You have to remove one of the coils to get at the clip. I don't recall which coil offhand. New Evinrude points come with new wicks. Don't oil the new wick, it has it's own lube. Non-Evinrude parts? I don't know if they will give you a wick or not.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

Something missing?? No. Unless you don't have the rest of the linkage installed. Do you have the verticle shaft in place, with the pin through the bottom of it? And is it connected to the the link to the armature plate at the top? If it is all there, it won't rotate far enough for the gears to disengage.

Yes it is supposed to have an oiler wick, part number 510189. it goes in a retaining clip part number 510188. You have to remove one of the coils to get at the clip. I don't recall which coil offhand. New Evinrude points come with new wicks. Don't oil the new wick, it has it's own lube. Non-Evinrude parts? I don't know if they will give you a wick or not.

Thanks. Perhaps I havent been aligning them properly, because it simply travels too far and loses engagement. Then it has to be rotated and re-engaged.

Yes, I have all the parts, and the engine runs OK.