Using tell tale outlet for H2O pressure gauge

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
I want to put a water pressure gauge on my '97 Johnny 115. I just wanted to see if anybody has ever just used the tell tale outlet from the bubble back for the gauge and just got rid of the tell tale?

I have no problem getting rid of the tell tale, it's basically useless anyway, but are there any gauge kits out there that will just work with the fitting/nipple coming out of the bubble back, or will I have to pull that fitting out and put a new fitting/nipple in for the pressure line?

I'd rather just use that than drill a new hole.

Thanks.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Using tell tale outlet for H2O pressure gauge

Teleflex offers what you seek.
And Yes you can do away with the telltale.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i read almost the exact thing a couple of days ago.

have you ran a search?

i think it can be done if i remember correctly. i think i can be done without losing the tell-tale.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info, I will do a search and see if I can find which Teleflex kit I need. Don't care ata ll about keeping the tell tale, I'd rather just have the gauge anyway.

Thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

So I found a Faria water pressure gauge kit in a local marine store. I was told that Teleflex doesn't make gauges anymore, so they sold me a Faria.

Looks like it is just a simple, kind of universal kit, the guy told me it was pretty standard for Merc and OMC. Comes with the water line, the gauge, some hardware, and a threaded nipple that the directions say you just have to screw into your water jacket.

I assume I can either just put the pressure line onto the existing tell-tale nipple on the bubbleback, or either replace that nipple with the one in the kit, but I don't see why I couldn't just use the one that's there already.

Has anyone ever used a Faria water pressure gauge kit? Are they a decent gauge? Should this be a relatively simple install? Should I keep the tell-tale and just use a T, does it matter?

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

keep the tale tell that tells you the impeller is still pumping, most just put a "T' in the tale tell line.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks tashasdaddy. I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't really sure where to get a "T" to put in the tell tale line. The male nipple that came with the gauge kit is 1/8".

Also wouldn't the pressure gauge just tell me the impeller is still pumping? Or ar you reffering to if something happened to the gauge or line, I could at least look back at the tell tale?

Sorry for the questions, but I have never had a water pressure gauge on any of my boats in 30 years, and figured it was time, so I don't know a whole lot about them, just figured getting rid of the tell tale was easiest, but maybe throwing a "T" in and keeping it is a good idea.

Any idea of where I can get either a brass or plastic "T" in 1/8"?

Thanks for the help.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You can purchase the "T" in the plumbing section of just about any hardware store.

If you use a "T" instead of eliminating the telltale, your gauge will probably read a bit lower than the actual water pressure in the motor, but I don't think that really matters. The main thing is to have something that gives you an indication of a functioning cooling system, without having to turn around to look at the telltale stream.

Once you observe the gauge for awhile, you will learn what indications to expect. If they change significantly, you will them know to look for a problem.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The correct gauge & kit for your motor will have the T in it. The gauges are calibrated to read with the overboard indicator working. Plugging it will atrifically raise your pressure readings somewhat. From your description we'll assume you have a crossflow 115. Sounds like the kit you got is for a looper 115. The Faria gauges are know to be inaccurate but whatever it reads will give you a baseline. However T-flex still makes the gauges but you'll be much better off with an OE gauge in this case.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Jay, sounds like a plan.

I have read a couple of other threads on here about T'ing off of the tell tale, and it seems that it doesn't make too much of a difference, maybe slightly as you mentioned, but as long as I know my "regular" reading while cruising, I will notice and drop.

Thanks for the advise and help.

Anybody ever use Faria gauges? I assume they are decent.