anyone have the hose routing for an 81 115hp?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
1981 115hp evinrude with tilt and trim.

choke is missing. It started up for a little while, ran great. then I stoped it and wont start again. It was leaking fuel out of a cracked feed line, so that could have been why. I haven't tried after replacing it. and the chokes missing so that could be a problem.

anyway, local boat shop printed me out a diagram and it has a fuel line going to the choke syl then 2 small ones going into the top of each carb.

Well, my motor doesn't have lines going into the top, or the bottom of the carb.

but does have them everywhere else.

DSC01869.jpg

see where the choke is supposed to be?

I have 3 lines, the thick one comes from the fuel pump.

the one on the right by the linkage goes into the intake manifold.

the one above the fuel line, goes to a "T" then goes into the cylinder head.

which is completely different than the page he printed me. the 2 lines are supposed to go to the top of the carbs. and they don't.

ideas?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: anyone have the hose routing for an 81 115hp?

bump bump bump

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the small hoses your looking at are part of the recirculation system. It's possible that when the primer was removed they took the small hoses off as well. Look at the top of the carbs for small hosebarbs, the small hoses from the primer go onto them. I use medical forcepts to reach between the carbs to put the hose on the top of the bottom carb, when I'm not removing the top carb.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The recirculation check valves are in the intake manifold.

He is talking about the lines to the top of the carburetors which run from the primer solenoid.

It looks something like the one in the thumbnail picture:

Attachments

• Primer Solenoid.jpg
    Primer Solenoid.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 3

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No hose barbs on top or bottom of the carbs:

carbs.jpg

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Followed the hoses, and both connect to the cylinders.

this normal?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

The recirc lines from #1 and #2 at the intake manifold 'T' and go to the mid left cranckcase to center main bearing. #3 goes up to the #1 bypass cover. #4 goes up to #2 bypass cover. At least that is what is spec'd for my later model 115. Not sure what is up with your choke situation. There is another at the lower manifold that connects to your air silencer.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

My 1982 manual shows the primer hoses entering the intake manifold at the top center behind each carburetor. That should be the same setup as 1981.

Attachments

• Primer Hoses 1982.JPG
    Primer Hoses 1982.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 23

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You reckon he has a "Franken Motor"? Part from a 1981 115hp, and part from a later motor. If you have the carbs from a motor that put the "primer gas" into the manifold, and the powerhead (or just the intake) from a later motor that prime into the carb, you would have no place to hitch up the hoses. I didn't know that any of them put the prime strait into the manifold, never run into that, and I work on 1981, and 1982 90hp evinrudes. The 90hp must be different from the 115hp in those years. He might have to be creative in order to hitch up his primer.

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm no expert either, but the diagram that I posted is straight out of the OMC factory manual for 1982 and covers all recreational V4 engines. The Xflow carburetors that I have seen from those years had the primer nipple at the top center rear pointing about 45 degrees straight into the intake.

The intake manifold isn't much good anyway, looks like someone broke off the pointer while trying to hold the flywheel.

I think that 1980 was the first year that they had the recirculation system set up that way on the 115, so there are not many options as far as the age of the intake manifold.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hoses look similar, but i have no barb on the intake manifold near the top of the top carb.

and i have more hoses leading into the cylinders than the diagram showes.

I know the powerhead was rebuilt at one point in time, maybe they used a newer power head?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The nipples for the primer should be where the arrow is on your photo; rear top center of the carburetor. It goes directly to the intake from there at a 45 degree angle.

Attachments

• carbs_2.jpg
    carbs_2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5