basics to you not to me!

jtstretch

Recruit
im a noob to boating and wanted to ask some questions if you all wont mind. im looking at a boat right now and its got a volvo penta in it and also has a mark on the drive of DP cd trim. what is this and is this a good type of drive???? what should i look for when going to buy one????
thanx

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: basics to you not to me!

Dp is duo-prop . . . not sure about cd. Picture? Year? Model? Horsepower? Boat? Volvos are excellent drives, in almost all cases. A little more info and we can help you even more, whether or not it may seem basic. You'll find us easy to get along with and not a lot of flaming going on here.

BTW, welcome aboard!!! :)

Maclin

Admiral

That is the drive I have, it is a very stout drive in my opinion. Parts are still available and it is very serviceable. One problem may be finding Volvo certified mechanics, they are not as numerous as Merc mechs in some areas.

It is a DuoProp model with two props that rotate in opposite directions and provides a whole lot of bite in the water, makes for good performers.

Just as all used boats it may not have been kept up with and may or may not be in tip top shape. A survey by a qualified surveyor or at least a look over by a mechanic you trust is in order. A test drive is a must also.

jtstretch

Recruit

its a 1991 chapperall sx 2300. its a 5.7L motor. not sure of the HP.

Maclin

Admiral

If the flame arrestor cover says 570 then it is 275 hp 350cid 4bbl. Very nice engine, and mated with the 290DP drive makes a very nice package, a very desirable setup.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the condition of the boat, engine, drive and trailer $3500 could be a steal or you could be getting hosed. We'd need to see pictures and know what the maintenance was like. Floor condition? Has it been sunk? I would say that priced at $3500 you should expect some issues and work to be done, but it should not be a money pit either. I would expect to spend a couple of grand to get her right depending on how much I could do myself, and if I did I wouldn't feel like I got a bad deal.

Here's a check list for a used boat that one of our most experienced members, Reel Poor, posted sometime back:

"Here is some advice I would give to anyone buying a boat.

What ever you do don?t buy any boat without a test drive.
Make sure the engine is cold and has not been previously warmed up. You will want to see how it cranks and runs after it has been sitting for an extended period.
Always check all fluid levels before test drive.
After the test drive ck all fluid levels again for color and consistency, looking for any water intrusion or fluid level changes.
Make sure bilge area is dry before and after test drive.
When test driving, don?t make a quick trip out and back, give it a real test drive. Put it thru the paces, run it hard, hit some waves, run it long enough to show up any problems.
Pay special attention to how solid the boat feels when you hit a wave, if it feels loose/shaky it may have structural problems.
Check closely for any soft flooring. Reach under the floors and try to dig your hands into any exposed wood.
Stop and restart the engine several times.
Make sure everything on the boat works, gauges, bilge pump, blowers, lights, wires are still in their looms, etc.
Make sure all thru hull fittings are tight, in good condition, and well sealed.
Make sure all deck hardware i.e. bow rails, cleats, tow eyes, windshield, seats, and etc. are solid on their mount.

Don?t just accept it. Don?t buy while you?re overly impressed. Take your time and look it over well."

Good luck!!

jtstretch

Recruit

Thats alot of good info from you guys thanx very much. the reason its so cheap is this guy works with my father inlaw and got fired and was storing it at the shop. he has no place for it and is trying to unload it asap. i will test drive it asap and see whats this thing can do. thanx again. im sure ill be back to ask some more Qs.

jtstretch

Recruit

can you start these engines without being in the water? what fluids do i check and where are the dip sticks located?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

NO NO dont start with out water going to the drive or being in the water
the up side is, you can get a peice of equipment that will hook up to a hose and run. these are called muffs and the seller should have one and be able to start the motor for you
the dip stick shouldnt be to hard to spot just look around the front and starboard side of motor first
the out drive has oil in it that needs checked but i'll have to pass as to how and what yours takes. all my stuff has been mercruiser
there should allso be a trim pump that needs oil to operate and if it hase power sreering there will be a pump like the power steering pump on a car that needs oil.
wouldnt hurt to check battery water and condition of belts and the bellows that seals the out drive to the boat