Increase hole shot

saurd

Cadet
We purchased a 06 24' regal this year. Overall very pleased. Would like to see what options are available. I know changing the pitch of the prop(s) would help, but with the bravo, currently 26 pitch, that is a costly option, and really dont' care to give up the top end at this point in time.

Trim tabs are another option I thought of.

Any on else installed the tabs on a boat of this size, if so what affect did it have?

Thanks,
Saurd

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Increase hole shot

Trim tabs can definitely help. Most planing hulls of that size and larger come standard with them ;) I would not go SmartTabs on a boat of this size. Bennett's or Lencos. Is this a Bravo 3? Either way u need to carry spare props, so having a lower pitch set is OK if the current RPM will let you . . . What model engine? What's your WOT RPM now? Average load and trimmed out properly . . .

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a stainless, cupped prop on my Evinrude and it increased my holeshot drastically. It was a very easy mod to do compared to installing trim tabs. I don't know much about I/O motors, but how much more expensive is a new (or used) prop for you I/O compared to trim tabs?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I put a stainless, cupped prop on my Evinrude and it increased my holeshot drastically. It was a very easy mod to do compared to installing trim tabs. I don't know much about I/O motors, but how much more expensive is a new (or used) prop for you I/O compared to trim tabs?

cupping a prop will help ....but on a bravo...it might be a costly idea...if its a one or two....$5-600

b3 1100 to 1200 for cupped

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cupping a prop can decrease hole shot . . . Let's get some info before we determine what, if any, problem he has . . . If this is a Bravo 3 I am concerned about power and/or hull condition, if this is a Bravo 1 swinging a 26 I am concerned about pitch, if this is a Bravo 2 then it is a gross misapplication ;)

saurd

Cadet

Thanks for all the info.

This is a bravo 3 drive. So there are 2 26 pitch props on there right now.

I did do some further research on the trim tabs, I like the hydraulic. But do to the transom design there is limited space for mounting. Review mounting guide lines there is only about one way they can go. This is way to the outside and more then likely will not get the anywhere near the 1 inch per foot of length referenced on Bennett's web sight. Are these still an option if all I can get is 9" span?

In QC's first reply he mentioned the WOT RPM, it is about 5000 currently. Depending on trim it can creap a bit higher, but not normally. Later you mention hull condition, it is like new, the Regal stepped hull design.

Thanks again for all the info.
Saurd

QC

Supreme Mariner

Saurd . . . I love hydraulic tabs, so I will always recommended, but I am surprised you are having hole shot issues with 5000 RPM WOT and a Bravo 3. What engine model? Horsepower? The more info, the more we can help . . . ;) I would not take Bennett's recommendation as gospel especially with a semi-performance type hull. The 9 inch span maybe perfect and I would consider a longer length than span for a fast boat.

When I mentioned hull condition, if this boat is kept in the water, new or not, it could have growth on it. Has it always performed the same?

saurd

Cadet

QC,

You are correct the hole shot probably is not bad for a boat of this size. It is the 350, rated at 300 hp. I just wanted to look into improving the hole shot if possible, it seems to take a bit longer to break some skiiers out of the water with his boat then it did my previous boat, 19ft cheetah with the 4.3L v6.

The boat stays on a trailer, not in the water so there is no growth on the bottom of the boat. It has performed the same in the one summer we have used this boat. It is more sensitive to loading then I expected for a boat of this size, 5000lb.

I am a bigger guy who still wants to ski, but in getting a bit older I can not fight holding on like I once could. So I am looking for any reasonalbe way to improve the hole shot.

What is a good range for RPM @ WOT?

Thanks again for your help.

Saurd

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well the 350 MAG MPI is rated at 4800 - 5200 RPM @ WOT, so you could go down to a 24" prop set. $1100 is correct although I do see them on eBay for around $600 sometimes. What altitude do you run at? Also, trim tabs will help hole shot without a skier and can help some with a deep water slalom start. However . . . a deep water start with a big skier is probably the toughest thing for any power package. Trim tabs help a lot at around 12 -15 MPH so that first raw slam of the throttle is not helped by tabs much. If you really want to improve that initial grab and go for skiing, the propset switch may be your best option . . . If it was my boat, I think I'd leave the 26's as I'd rather be propped a little towards the low side of the RPM range if my load was typical. a LOT of guys disagree with me, and again, if hole shot is your primary goal, then go with the 24's . . . Good luck!!!

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

5000rpm? IIRC, isn't the max rpm for a 350 supposed to be in the 4400 to 4800 range?

One thing nobody's touched on yet is trim. Is the drive trimmed all the way down when you take off? If so, my suggestion would be a set of trim tabs.

IMHO, this is a lot of boat for a single 300hp engine, so it will take a little longer to get on plane. My '89 Regal bow rider seemed to almost instantly jump on plane compared to my 24' cruiser (383 w/Cobra & 15x17 prop). I guess it's the nature of the beast and the additional weight.

saurd

Cadet

Thanks to all who helped. It does help.

Thanks again still not sure what I will do but it does help to know what the prevailing opions are in the industry.

Thanks,
Saurd

mpolk

Recruit

This has been good info.

I am having the same problem. I have a 02 Rinker 24' with a 350 mag and bravo 3, it has 28 pitch props.

My top end is great, 58-60 mph, but when pulling a 200 lbs skier out of the water I have to load every one up front to get it to plane out??

The way I under stand this thread is that you can one or the other but not both??(top end speed or hole speed??) Is this correct??

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner

Typically I would say yes, you cannot have both, but the Bravo 3 should help. Your top speed numbers sound high, and we need to know the RPM, but with the 28" propset and complaints of poor hole shot I am thinking pitch is too high. Aboslutely can NOT have this discussion without GPS verified speed and especially accurate RPM at WOT. What model Rinker?

Welcome aboard mpolk!!

mpolk

Recruit

Thanks,

Its a 232 Captiva.

I will mount my GPS this weekend to verify my speed, I'm not sure what you mean by "rpm at WOT"

Monty

QC

Supreme Mariner

Propeller sizing is determined by verifying the RPM at the fastest speed the boat will go. This is commonly referred to as Wide Open Throttle (WOT). It should be checked with a typical load (people, stuff, food, fuel, beer, ice, beer etc.) AND trimmed out to make her as fast as she possibly can go. That RPM is the ONLY way to verify and select propellers . . . ;)