1971 johnson blues - Update

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Ok i got the motor in the water (trash can) today with fresh seals on the lower unit, new impeller, and a new starter pinion. ready to test it out.

started up after a few pulls and ran a little rough, but it finally warmed up and started sounding better but i ran into a problem.

it runs fine and dandy idling when the motor cover is off, but when I put it on it will die when trying to idle. i tried adjusting the richness setting, but i honestly dont know where that is supposed to be.

what is usually the problem if it wont idle with the motor cover on vs off, and where should my air / gas mix setting be at?

obviously it is needing air that its not getting, but dont know the cause.

thanks

Last edited:

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 johnson blues

If you want a good answer you need to tell people the model number of that motor horse power ect.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

sorry

1971 johnson 9.5
model number 9r-71r

thanks

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Poor performance of an engine with the cover on, when it seems to run fine with it off, is often a sign of exhaust gases leaking into the cowl. I would check that possibility out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The answer just absolutely jumps out at you. You are running it in a tank. They won't run in a tank with the cover on because it is sitting right down there in a big cloud of smoke. They won't even run right in a big professional test tank with proper baffles and venting. Put it on a boat and take your fishing pole.
EDIT: IF, however it won't run on a boat either, you probably left out the seal that goes on top of the water pump. Don't sweep it up and throw it out with the trash, they are NLA (no longer available).

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Or put a big fan behind you to blow all the fumes away when testing.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

The answer just absolutely jumps out at you. You are running it in a tank. They won't run in a tank with the cover on because it is sitting right down there in a big cloud of smoke. They won't even run right in a big professional test tank with proper baffles and venting. Put it on a boat and take your fishing pole.
EDIT: IF, however it won't run on a boat either, you probably left out the seal that goes on top of the water pump. Don't sweep it up and throw it out with the trash, they are NLA (no longer available).

the only seal I put on by the water pump is that gasket paper thing and an oil retainer in the water pump housing.

so if they dont make them anymore, what do I do about that. I am going to take it to the lake today and see what happens.

thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

the only seal I put on by the water pump is that gasket paper thing and an oil retainer in the water pump housing.

so if they dont make them anymore, what do I do about that. I am going to take it to the lake today and see what happens.

thanks

You can see an exploded view parts list at http://shop.evinrude.com/
Best shot at getting obsolete parts is www.sea-way.com

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

Update: (1971 Johnson 9.5)

ran the motor on the lake today. Started pretty easy and idled fine all day. The problem came when running it in gear. It wouldnt get up and go like it should is the best way i can put it. It seemed like the rpms were a little bogged down. Every once in a while it would pick it up, but it wouldnt last long before it would slowly bog down and just run slower. It wasnt that it sounded bad or was running rough, but just basically didnt run like it should. I know this is probably a carb problem. Do you guys think i should just try to run some sea foam or something a couple of times through the tank and see if it improves? or get immediate service?

problem #2
i was "getting to know" my motor, ha and i disassembled the fuel pump. I have it all back together, but there is a piece I dont know where it goes. Its just a small plastic round piece. Does it just go on the end facing the motor where there is a little hole on the outside? I would much rather just re-put this part back in rather than buy a new fuel pump because the one that is on there looks fairly new.

now I have a question about the fuel pump...there is a big spring that sits in there right in the middle facing the motor, but by the diaphragm there is a spot and only 1 spring sits in there but it looks like there is a spot for 2 springs. I thought I might have lost one, but looked at fuel pump kits and they only have 1 small spring as well. Just was curious.