Carb Cleaning - What to soak in?

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got my carb rebuild kit today and I'm ready to tackle this adventure!! I have a can of Gumout carb cleaner and a can of compressed air. What should I use to soak the parts in, or is spraying with the Gumout sufficient?

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carb Cleaning - What to soak in?

if you dont have any regular parts cleaner you can use gas.

i dont soak mine but i do take a piece of wire pull one strand off and use it to clean out the jets real good ,dont use anything inside the jets that will scratch the insides.

now if i pull one apart that has been sitting for a long time then i will soak them.

just make sure you get every hole and orifice.

hope it works out for ya.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is ok unless you have a seriously gummed up carburetor. Then you need one of the cans of stuff with the dip basket from the auto parts store. That stuff is expensive and not worth it for one casual, not-too-bad carb. The can has to be big enough to submerge the carb. A gallon can for most of them.

nguoi_viet41

Seaman

I got my carb rebuild kit today and I'm ready to tackle this adventure!! I have a can of Gumout carb cleaner and a can of compressed air. What should I use to soak the parts in, or is spraying with the Gumout sufficient?

you can get them at autozone or local auto parts

byp0996003.jpg