New Tach Hookup

freezzman

Cadet
Hello, Recived my new Teleflex Tach today. The instructions are a little to be desired. I own a Johnson 1980 70 Hp 3 cyl. The diagram shows a connection to a grey wire somewere between the command control and the motor,then connecting to a wire that says any yellow, finally to a wiring block that the only thing in english is red ? go figure. The next problem is should I connect in the command control or the motor ? pro and cons?

Thanks for your help and Happy Boating

John

Attachments

• Tach-1 (600 x 355).jpg
    Tach-1 (600 x 355).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: New Tach Hookup

Looks like they are assuming nothing is hooked up. Look at your motor and find the 2 yellow wires coming from the stator. Follow them down to the block where they are terminated. One of them should already have a gray wire connected to it. If not there should be a gray wire close by that is not terminated. That gray wire goes thru the harness to the console and gets connected to the send terminal on the tach. 12V for the tach gets connected to the purple wire coming off the switch. Ground can be connected to any other gauges ground. If desired the light can be connected to any other gauges light. Some remotes have a socket on the front where a harness for a tach can be plugged in.

freezzman

Cadet
Re: New Tach Hookup

Thanks so much! do you have any idea were i could get a tach hook up plug for the 1980 johnson?

Thanks again
John B.