fuel problem @ start up '77 140hp

When I try to start my 1977 140hp Johnson after sitting a few hours to a day, it won't start just keeps cranking, spark is good, compression is good, battery is charged, but if I spray a little squirt of carb cleaner into each carb barrel it starts right up and stays running, the priming bulb does pull fuel thru and the plastic tip on the rear of the fuel pump does push out every pump of the bulb then recedes back into the pump until pumped again. The bulb does feel firm but never stays hard, I can keep pumping it more. After it's running, I shut it off it starts right back up every time. The carbs & fuel pumps were rebuilt this summer. Never had this problem before.

Timmstng67

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel problem @ start up '77 140hp

Hi

Is the electric choke working I have the same outboard and the choke solenoid was stuck at the beginning of the season I was able to free it by moving the linkage a few times, when the engine is cold it wont start without it. the choke solenoid is located at the base of the bottom carb on the linkage side. You should hear a click sound when you push the choke switch in, mine is operated by pushing in on the key.

There is also a manual choke at the top of the carb's if you pull the cover off the engine.

Something to look at.

Tim

Yes, the choke is working with the key pushed in, I was working on it before because it was sticking in the solonoid. But this is a whole new issue. Never had it not get fuel like this.

Well I went out to check the choke operation after I put the air box on, and it still didn't start, while it was cranking over I moved the warm up lever down then up again about 3/4 way up the engine sputtered so I tried it again with the lever 3/4 up and it started right up no problems. So thanks Timmstng67 for giving me the idea to check.

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bulb does feel firm but never stays hard, I can keep pumping it more. After it's running, I shut it off it starts right back up every time.

If you have a inboard fuel tank, check the fuel pick-up tube inside the tank. It will dry-rot at the top of the nipple,crack, and suck vaccum. If not, check-replace the fuel lines and filter.

The bulb should stay hard for days after pumping it.