1996 Johnson 130 Draining Battery

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice
1996 Johnson 130 on a four winns horizon 170. Battery goes dead if it is left hooked up for more than a week. Running boat doesn't seem to charge it much, but i suspect that is because it is big-time drained. Suspicion confirmed by hooking it up to a charger and running it all night anf batt is still only at 70%.

I am wondering if there is anything in the engine system that may be putting a small load on the batt and draining it. Obviously, there is the entire remainder of the boat to worry about, but I am wondering specifically about the engine electronics, etc.

Anyone have any ideas to troubleshoot to see if there is a dead short somewhere draining her down?

blue_streak

Cadet
Re: 1996 Johnson 130 Draining Battery

I would suggest turning everything off and then disconnect the positive lead from the battery. if you see a spark, there is something drwaing current from the battery.

after that, you have to trace things out until you find the problem.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First on my suspect list would be the rectifier....if it is a problem in the motor.
You have to take it one circuit at a time. A wiring diagram would be a big help here. And of course the knowledge how to read it. Otherwise you are just probing around in the dark.

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice

First on my suspect list would be the rectifier....if it is a problem in the motor.
You have to take it one circuit at a time. A wiring diagram would be a big help here. And of course the knowledge how to read it. Otherwise you are just probing around in the dark.

And that is a big "IF". I've shut off everything from the boat itself and find I still have something drawing current, so I guess I am now in one of two situations:

1.) Dead short in the boat somewhere:

2.) Short in the engine somewhere.

Is there a way to disconnect the engine from the boat itself to see?

In the dark is a pretty good way to put it. I sort of know how to read a diagram. I guess that is my nexst step.

D

DJ

And that is a big "IF". I've shut off everything from the boat itself and find I still have something drawing current, so I guess I am now in one of two situations:

1.) Dead short in the boat somewhere:

2.) Short in the engine somewhere.

Is there a way to disconnect the engine from the boat itself to see?

In the dark is a pretty good way to put it. I sort of know how to read a diagram. I guess that is my nexst step.

Sure, remove the negative battery terminal from the engine block.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What is the overall condition of the battery ??? Did you have the battery tested ???
Is the boat out of the water on the trailer or is it in dock with an automatic bilge pump ???
If you unhook the battery for a week does it retain it's charge ???
Let's go from there.

Hoss 350

Seaman Apprentice

What is the overall condition of the battery ??? Did you have the battery tested ???
Is the boat out of the water on the trailer or is it in dock with an automatic bilge pump ???
If you unhook the battery for a week does it retain it's charge ???
Let's go from there.

I am so embarrassed. I almost didn't want to come on here to admit it. I tried all the basics, even disconnected the negative from the engine block to isolate the motor.

I missed one very important one. I was so focused on the boat drawing the battery that it never even occured to me to actually CHECK THE FRIGGING BATTERY.

I am a dumbass. Battery was toast. Bought new battery. Problem solved. I will now retire to the pit of dumbness and return another day.. Thanks to all that helped!