mercury 4.5hp 1980-location of white wire?

Anode

Cadet
I have mercury 4.5hp 1980 motor that I am putting back together. Dose any one have any Idea as to where the white wire goes to. I looked at the wiring diagram, but cannot find the white wire.

Laddies

Banned
Re: mercury 4.5hp 1980-location of white wire?

The white wire should run from the points to the coil.

Anode

Cadet

Thanks for your fast responce

To the coil dose it some how connect to the two white wires from both coiles?

Laddies

Banned

Heres the wiring diagram for 75 to 80 all 4.5 were the same
scan-3.jpg

Anode

Cadet

I have the same diagram, but if you follow the white wire it disappears under the plait and dose not show you how it gets attached. This is what I am looking for. How and what do I attach this wire to.

If any one as this motor and can take a picture it would be greatly appreciated.

Laddies

Banned

It goes under the plate and connects to the point stud

Anode

Cadet

I would like to thank you Laddies for being so patient with me. Any motor to me is like a space shuttle engine I am not mechanically inclined at all. So I thank you for your patient.

I have one end connected to the stud and as for the other end under the plate. I have taken the flashlight and looked for any part that looks like it is missing a wire and can not find it. I have also looked for any part that seem scratched to indicate a missing wire could not find it either.

Laddies

Banned

Take the 2 phillips head screws out of the cover that are visible on the wiring diagram and take the cover plate off to see the points and stud

Anode

Cadet

If this is correct i looked at the red MODULE and cover assembly. i see where the white wires from the coil come together, I don?t see a place for the wire from the points.

Laddies

Banned

Lets try one more time, look at the the wiring diagram, The 2 charging winding hook on the ign module at the other end of the module where 1 end of each goes to the outside screws and they are bonded together at the middle screw, which goes through a diode in the module and sends voltage to the outside terminal at the other end where the capacitor and green coil wire are attached. At the end that you are having a problem with there is 1 black wire going from ground to the inside terminal of the ign. module. The green wire from the capacitor goes to the outside terminal of the ign module where it joins the other green wire that to the coil. That leave the white wire from the coil it goes to the point stud. Any other way won't work if there are other wires get rid of them, with the exception of the wire from the kill switch usually orange and it hooks to the same terminal on the coil that the white wire is fastened to if the engine is so equipped.