89 200 HP Black Max idle problems

pressnutt

Cadet
My Uncle and I bought an 89 Ranger Bass Boat with an 89 Merucry Black Max 200 HP on it. The motor ran fine for a good two months, no problems whatsoever. The motor still runs fine at top speed but bogs down a little when trying to plane out and doesn't idle correctly now. It smokes more than it used to now at first start up but then the smoke becomes less after 10 to 15 seconds with my foot on the gas to keep it running. As soon as I let off the hot foot, it idles way down and sometimes shuts off. Whenever I let off the hot foot and put it in gear, it shuts off as load is applied to the motor. Once I get it past idle in gear it runs great (60mph plus). My unlce said the other day he was out in it and it was running fine and as he was headed to the next fishing spot it planed out and then it died. He check the primer bubble and it was soft. He pumped it a few times and it ran fine the rest of the day. He put it on the trailer and took it to his house. He filled the gas tanks on the way home and ever since that day it hasn't idled correctly. We just replaced the spark plugs and it has great fire on all 6 cylinders. I plan on taking the carbs out and cleaning them and maybe setting the idle screws to idle it a little higher. I don't think there is water in the gas. My questions are these. First, what would have made the primer bubble go soft all of a sudden when my unlce was using it? Second, do you think the idle problem is a carb issue and do they need taking out and cleaned?(As far I know hey have never been rebuilt) Third, what would cause the excessive smoking at first start up when it hasn't done this before. Any help and response is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Pressnutt

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 89 200 HP Black Max idle problems

Hi and welcome to iBoats,

Firstly the bulb going soft is normal... That's due to the fact that the fuel pump is pulling fuel through the bulb, so it doesn't have pressure behind it....

When was the last FULL service done? Merc recommend that the fuel pump diaphragms be replaced ANNUALLY!! That's every year....

That is the first place I would be looking... What shape fuel pump do you have? Square or more of a long oval? A perforated pump diaphragm will account for the smoke, poor idle etc...

Post your engine serial number and I'll have a look at the fuel system....

Chris...........

pressnutt

Cadet

I will post it as soon as I get home tonight and then we can go from there. Thanks for the the response Chris

j_martin

Admiral

Things that affect idle:
Poor compression.....engine needs overhaul
Idle passages in carbs gummed up. ...... rebuild carbs, carb kits
reed seating...... replace reeds
bleed hoses .... test check valves, repair or replace lines.
Ignition troubles..... usually also affects higher speeds.

The smoking is likely just a build up of fuel because of the misfire at idle.

hope it helps
John