Seat Upholstry Repair Help

szn9rg

Cadet
I have a 92 Four Winns with 2 back to back seats. Some of the vinyl corner seams on the top edges are starting to come loose due to the thread deterioration. I know the best way would be to tear the upholstry off and resew but since the boat is older is there any type of adhesive that I could use that would effectively hold the seam togeather. I not ready to just put duct tape over the area yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Seat Upholstry Repair Help

No glue is going to do what you want.
However you can patch it. Get a piece of fabric from your local fabric shop that matches the seat. Cut it about 2in bigger than the area to be repaired. Use contact cement on both the seat and your patch, let it dry after it dries re-coat them and let them dry till they get tacky. After they get tacky apply the patch to the seat, it will stick as soon as they touch so be careful. This patch will hold for a long time and looks better than ducktape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

duct tape. removing them and resewing is the only way for it to last. or just totally recover.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Duct tape deterioates quickly when exposed to sunlight. How about using a curved needle(1/2 round) and oversewing the corners? Use a polyester coat thread for strenght.

You will need a pair of needlenose pliers to force the needle thru the vinyl.