American pronounciation

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gees you guys have some funny ways to say and spell things, like (say) Herbs, (the things you cook with), it is spelled with an H so it is Herbs, just like her, but with a B not "erbs", or carburator, it is spelled Carburettor and pronounced as such or Alumanum, it is spelled Aluminium, and pronounced as Alu-min-i-um, I know it is not a big deal, but if it is spelled as such, then it should be said as such, well I reckon anyway! not to say any other Country is correct, but some things are just so abvious (like Herbs) that it just bugs me.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: American pronounciation

Can someone please translate that for me? :D:D:D

Navy Jr.

That's okay. I still haven't figured out how people can pronouce Brent Favre as Brent "Farve"...

Pierutrus

gees you guys have some funny ways to say and spell things, like (say) Herbs, (the things you cook with), it is spelled with an H so it is Herbs, just like her, but with a B not "erbs", or carburator, it is spelled Carburettor and pronounced as such or Alumanum, it is spelled Aluminium, and pronounced as Alu-min-i-um, I know it is not a big deal, but if it is spelled as such, then it should be said as such, well I reckon anyway! not to say any other Country is correct, but some things are just so abvious (like Herbs) that it just bugs me.

What did he say?:eek:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

CPO noelm,

Bad idea.... really bad... There's 320 million of them and only 21 million of us.... Pick a fight you can win...

And just on the unbalanced population... We should be counting Olympic medals per head of population.... I wonder which country would be wayyyy out in front.... :D:D:D:D:D

aspeck

Staff member

I think he was poking fun at some of our countries names and if I understood correctly we should all be offended for being singled out and made the brunt of such a joke. ;)

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Differences in the English language make for interesting conversation. There's the Queen's English, Aussie English, Canadian English and U.S. English. Of the four, U.S. English seems to be the most different. Using your examples, "herbs" is pronounced with a silent "h" probably to accommodate the French pronunciation. We spell the engine's air/fuel mixture device "carburetor" and pronounce the "e" like an "a", again to mimmick the French pronunciation. The lightweight metal is spelled "aluminum" without the second "i" you folks use. We don't typically add a "u" to "color" or similar words ending in "or" whereas you would spell it "colour", "behaviour", etc. The differences are slight and subtle, and in the grand scheme of things, inconsequential. I'm just happy to know that I can order a beer in any of the English-speaking countries, and the bartender/pubman has no problem understanding me.:D:D

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

This reminds me of the one comedian that had a twin brother. I believe his name was Gallagher he had a bit on how we pronounce words. I'm not sure if that is how he spelled his name or not.

Silent letters that's all they are on allot of the words.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I think he was poking fun at some of our countries names and if I understood correctly we should all be offended for being singled out and made the brunt of such a joke. ;)

Here, here.........................make it so #1....................:D:D:D

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Thank you clearing that up. Now I'm offended too! :eek::D:D

noelm

not intending to offend anyone, I was just pointing out some odd things from your Country in the way we say things, if this was a predominately Australian site, then some other things would have been mentioned, it is intended to be just a "thought" on our English speaking/spelling of common things, just the like the word Herbs, on US cooking shows it is always pronounced ERBS with no H neither wrong nor right, but different. as "mainexile" has said.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My favorite pronunciations are of the word spelled "oil".

My nawthern relatives pronounce it "erl", my southern relatives pronounce it "awl" and my British relatives pronounce it "oyul".

I used to have a routine I did for my students about how southerners pronounce the words "all" and "oil".

"All" is pronounced awl and spelled aye eyul eyul.
"Oil" is pronounced awl and spelled oh ah eyul.
Danged yankees and limeys can't even talk ainglish! :)

Because I was a professional speaker I had to learn midwestern American. . . like all the guys on TV use.

Pierutrus

not intending to offend anyone, I was just pointing out some odd things from your Country in the way we say things, if this was a predominately Australian site, then some other things would have been mentioned, it is intended to be just a "thought" on our English speaking/spelling of common things, just the like the word Herbs, on US cooking shows it is always pronounced ERBS with no H neither wrong nor right, but different. as "mainexile" has said.

Are right, now we have the Australian's picking on the Brit's and American's!:eek:

noelm

yep, there you go, Oil is another funny one!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Obviously a lot of differences in grammar, spelling, and punctuation too.

Wanna buy a period?

Pierutrus

No more excuse on her part for that matter....
Now she came up with a new one.....and that is......
Gotta clean the house?:eek: