inflatable

flashfly

Cadet
I would like to buy a inflatable boat for use in Florida on rivers and small lakes. I live in Michigan and go to Florida each winter. the boat is for my wife and I to just "butt" around in. I would like to carrie the boat in my truck in a carrie bag. I am thinking of a 10 foot with a 10 HP motor. Am I on the right track? what make of boat is the best because I want quality? Should I go bigger for the two of us? thank you in advance. Terry

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: inflatable

I would check craigslist for a good used yacht tender. Avoid anything small scale, that does not have a transom mount, you will be CRAMPED! Find one with a nice transom mount, and larger sized pontoons (for sitting on). As far as motors go, 10 hp will be FAST on an inflatable, if your looking to go down mainly rivers, even 5hp is enough, than again extra hp can be fun :)

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 12 ft with an 18 horse that does great with 2 people, lil scary with just me in it.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont know what model it is, bought it from a guy at work, and its not too bad for being made in 74. the craft is rated for a 40 horse, but i think that would be too much motor. i drive a bronco 2 and find that it rides quite nicely on top, tied down in front, middle and back, with everything in the cargo area of the truck. just keep an eye on pressure as it changes from going down the road to parked. trying to figure out how to add a pic.

flashfly

Cadet

I have been looking at a Zoom 10 foot for putting around in. they the company recomends no more than a 10 HP but an 8HP is good too. Just my wife and I would run in it in lakes and rivers, fishing etc. I don't know if the quality of a Zoom is good or not?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Zodiac is the largest brand of this type of boat. You can certainly spend more but for your money the Zoom is a good boat and should be quite safe as long as you use it right. It's much more stable than an aluminum jon boat, for example. Like most small inflatables, its light weight makes it nice and portable so you don't need a huge tow vehicle. A 10 hp engine is generally plenty for such a boat.

flashfly

Cadet

Bayman, think you for the information. I know very little about inflatables and am trying to find out if one would fit my needs. I have been charting as a captain on the great lakes for over 15 years, but don't know a thing about inflatables...T