just a wonder ?

fletcher

Cadet
i'm new to boating since may,but interested in the whole boating thing.i've got a 60 hp merc.1996.with a yearly service i'm curious to know how long the ob will last before it is written off.i know this depends on how often it is used.but for example if used over the summer period for around 40 hours.

also what make of ob do u think is the most trouble free,lets say it was a 60 hp ob.

in a idea world i would like to buy a new ob with warranty and when the warranty expires,keep on renewing the warranty for life.i don't suppose that service is available.thanks for any feed back.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: just a wonder ?

Well cared for your engine should outlast you. Ten to twenty years would be a bit over average, but average is skewed by neglected and abused outboards and outboards for which parts and quality service are no longer available.

There are thousands of 40-50-60 year old outboards (mostly JohnnyRudes) in regular use.

A factory service manual and a bit of study will help you keep her healthy and cost a lot less than extended warranties.