9.9-HP Mercury 2 Stroke hard to start or dies afterwards

merczodiak

Recruit
Just recently, I purchased used 10' Zodiac along with a two (2) Stroke 9.9 HP Mercury outboard. So, I took both for a trip to my fav. lake for some floating/cruising tests. All went ok for couple of days. The outboard would start with one pull and I was able to enjoy flawless performance, in idle and at low and high speeds. At the end of the second day, I left the outboard tilted out of water, hanging and cooking in 90 degree sun. Later, I noticed little bit of fuel leak from the base of the motor, below the fuel line plug-in. I unplugged the fuel line thinking that it was the cause of the leak. Next day, I came back to continue with my boating fun. But, that's when my problems with the outboard started. Firstly, I had a hard time with start-up. Then, after several pulls it eventually got going. But, after few minutes the outboard would just die. I could not make it idle in neutral or run in gear, at any speed. At this point, I don't know what to think of it or what to look for?

jake3340

Cadet
Re: 9.9-HP Mercury 2 Stroke hard to start or dies afterwards

My friend had the same problem with his johnson, try changing the spark plugs to get it to start quick, it could be they are dirty, and for it to keep running check if the carbarator is not clogged, it could be petrol isnt going in the engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 9.9-HP Mercury 2 Stroke hard to start or dies afterwards

Fuel leaking with the engine tilted up is normal....

Silly question.... Did you plug the fuel line back in properly? Those ones can appear to be in, but if they are not fully in the valves don't open properly.

What oil and ratio are you using?

What year or serial number?

Chris.......