Reed Valves 15 hp

kglade

Cadet
I have a 1986 15 hp evinrude with a low idle speed of about 450 rpm. Often stalls. Have remote throttle adjusted to maximum stroke at idle.

I have done a thorough carb cleaning including overnight soak, and installed new plugs.

How would I know if there is a problem with the reed valves?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Reed Valves 15 hp

Reed valve problems cause spray out of the carb.

Sounds like your engine needs a by-the-book link 'n' synch. The book, of course, is a factory Service Manual.

kglade

Cadet

JB, thanks for responding.

I have the Selo book and have done the link-n-sink, I think, because there is no procedure with that name in the book. Is there a better book?

What I think is a link-n-sink:

I have set the cam follower on the throttle plate to contact the cam just at the mark on the cam. However, I must still move the throttle to the mid-cam position to start the motor, and when the throttle arm goes to the idle position, the cam follower is not touching the cam, and I get the 450 rpm crummy idle.

Am I missing something?

I cannot figure out any way to adjust the idle speed other than by adjusting the remote throttle cable, and it is already maxed out. Although a cable with a longer throw would help, it seems that all cables for evinrudes have the same stroke. I am just about to the point where I will make a homemade extension to the throttle cable where it attaches to the motor.

There is no idle speed knob on the side of the motor, which is what the Selo book calls for. I have adjusted the idle mixture knob on the front of the motor, but it is very sensitive. A quarter turn either way will stall the engine.

I have learned a lot about outboards over the past weeks, but feel that I am missing that one critical piece of information, which is why I asked about the reed valves.

Thanks again for your help. As you can tell I am new to outboard repair and need all the help I can get.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I find it hard to think that Evinrude made a fishing motor in recent years without an idle speed knob somewhere. Something's gotta be missing.

Sorry I am not familiar with that particular year/model.