Bought a new (to me) motor...

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, i just picked up my 3rd outboard for $100. Its a 1966 mercury 3.9 single cylinder that appears to be in good shape. I just brought it home and am going to look over it more and clean it up, so after, i will have pictures.

Now, i don't know much about these old mercurys so i have a few questions. First, the motor shifts great into forward neutral and reverse, but does not spit water. I figured it would be the impeller, which is cheap, but i want to know how to fit the lower unit back on properly after replacing it. Also, any other helpful info about these motors would be great. It started on the 2nd pull after sitting nearly a year.

Thanks guys

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bought a new (to me) motor...

anybody have any info or advice? As i said, it shifts well, but i just got done draining the lower unit oil and a decent amount of water came out followed by very thick light brown gear oil. Hopefully the lower unit is fine...

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

With that much water in there I'd give it a good inspection and look for a crack. Other wise, I'm just guessing, I'd say it needs to be rebuilt (seals).

Get a Mercury manual if you can. he Seloc's are not very good. Check on ebay for one.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

It may be a bad sealing washer on the drain and vent screws. Put new oil in, new correct washers and run it around the lake a few times. Check it again and see if water comes out. The lower unit goes back on in reverse order that it came off. Just be sure the shifter is in the same gear as the lower when putting it back on. It may be easier to put back on if you stand the motor upside down so you can see the shiftshaft coupler, you twiddle with the shift lever to keep it centered in the hole. Hopefully, with a lot of water in the lower...it didn't freeze and crack anything.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

in the test tank, it shifted great. No odd noises and when i gave it gas it was fine. I do not believe anything is frozen up. Im going to buy a lower unit seal kit (all the lower unit seals) from oldmercs, new gear oil, an impeller, and a manual. I'll get pics today for you guys to see.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bought a new (to me) motor...pics!

Re: Bought a new (to me) motor...pics!

here are some pics of the old merc after a nice wash and wax. I used engine degreaser all throughout the inside as well as some of the outside, which had built up grease throughout the years.

I purchased a lot of stuff from oldmercs including a manual, lower unit seal kit, impeller, spark plug, new drain and vent plugs, prop nut, gear oil, and some other small stuff.

what do you guys think?

Attachments

• up north, motor 027.JPG
    up north, motor 027.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • up north, motor 028.JPG
    up north, motor 028.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • up north, motor 030.JPG
    up north, motor 030.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • up north, motor 031.JPG