60hp Bigfoot Probs

Easyfishin

Recruit
Hi all am new here so plz bear with me if there are type O's...lol

I just purchased a 2008 Suntracker 24 foot Party Barge pontoon and after 6 hours the motor seized . We took it in and the tech found the bottom 3 cylinders had water in them now i was three miles down the lake at around 4000 rpm when it just quit no cough or any sound just poof like you shut it off. The reason i came here is to see if anyone else has had this problem with the 60hp Bigfoot and what results they got back from Mercury. As of today i have been waiting 47 days yes you heard me 47 days for a new powerhead and if you think i'm a bit P,Oed you should see my wife...lol. This is totally unacceptable from Mercury they don't even return calls so i'm at a loss as what to do next short of giveing the boat back to the finance company. I need advice or any help the readers can offer ...Thank - You

dinodog71

Cadet
Re: 60hp Bigfoot Probs

I'm guessing that your boat is still under warranty, lucky you. I would not have expected anything different from Mercury if my dealings with Mercury Australia are anything to go by. If the boat is still under warranty then I guess all you will get is to get your boat back and they will say it's fixed. On the other hand , if the boat is out of warranty then as the owner you would expect them to tell you what failed and what has to be done to fix it. Let me tell you though, if you are not a mercury dealer then Mercury really don't want anything to do with you. Again, just my experience with them. Real shame Mercury, your customer suppport is terrible.

Hope you get back on the water soon.
cheers
Dean

Easyfishin

Recruit

Yup still under warranty and still not running and still Mercury won't return phone calls.:mad::mad:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You need to be on the dealers back, not Mercury's. I was a Merc dealer and their customer backup was second to none... If you are having problems, it's down to the dealer... Is it a Merc dealer, or just another boat-shop?

And if you really want bad service, buy that Jap brand who started the 4 stroke fiasco...

Chris..........

Easyfishin

Recruit

Yes it's a full line Merc Dealer and the prob is with Merc,they had no stock 60 back ordered here a couple weeks ago mine finally showed up today Tech says he should have it done for the weekend. To be honest with anyone who reads this forum i personally don't trust this engine now something inside tells me that its gona happen again. Some boaters are tellin me just drive the crap out of it now don't worrie about breakin in a new power head it either goes or blows warranty can't tell how you drove it anyway all the computer will tell is how many hours on it....so i don't know. Just stayin close to shore and see how it goes..

achris

Those engines have a good history... Doubt you'll have problems if the dealer sorted out the reason for the first failure...

Rule #1... if something broke... find out why, because if you don't the new one will break too.

Chris............

Easyfishin

Recruit

Reason for failure motor sucked in water and hydro locked the bottom three cylinders tech has no idea why rep has no idea hell even Mercury doesn't know why yet powerhead is on its way back to Mercury for inspection so maybe they can figure it out. Found two other guys in another forum with same failure motor ingesting water.:eek::eek:

achris

Engines sucking water is usually caused by

Incorrect ignition timing, engine too low in the water, one cylinder not firing..

You didn't say if it's a 2 or 4 stroke....

4 stroke would also include incorrect valve timing, bad head gasket (no head gaskets on the 3 cylinder 2 stroke 60s)

Hell, even the wrong plugs can cause some water in cylinders...

Chris........

Easyfishin

Recruit

The 60hp Mercury Bigfoot is a 4 stroke EFI engine. Today the tech found the reason for failure while running up the new engine it was a pin hole in a water line that cools the fuel pump took less than five minutes to build up close enough to the intake for him to have to shop vac it away and shut it down. Man am i glad we know the cause now..swapped out the line and were good to go....wooohooo..Merc was glad to know he found the cause allso..:D:D

achris

Great news, and thanks for the feedback.........

Happy boating