1996 20 HP Johnson won't start cold

rusty_hound

Recruit
My 1996 20 HP outboard will not start cold. It initially fires for a split second, however it doesn't start. The only way I can get it going is to jam open the carburetor. After the engine warms up, it starts just file. The local marina mechanic has looked at it a couple of times, and has replaced the electronic component that is located in the tiller arm. I've researched the internet for solutions. If I saw one, I didn't recognize it. Any ideas?

Rusty

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 20 HP Johnson won't start cold

If your model has the electric primer solenoid clamped onto the carb, try turning the red handle to manually open the primer to start cold, as soon as it starts close the primer handle.

This is a fuel enrichener, chokes enrichen mixture by restricting air, an enrichener adds fuel.

Test fuel flow by removing the hose from the enrichener to the intake manifold, either press the 'choke' button (you should be able to hear the solenoid 'click' or turn the red handle to open, crank the motor and observe fuel flow, if none order a new enrichener or a rebuild kit.