'88 170 Runabout

jasonneal

Seaman Apprentice
First of all I would like to say thank you to the men and women who take the time to get on this forum and offer advice and wisdom to people like me who desperately need it. That being said I need your help again. I am putting my old Glastron to rest and considering buying a 1988 Thundercraft 170 Runabout with a Mercruiser 3.0 4 cyl. I need a boat that will pull an adult on a tube and the rest is merely putting around or using it as a swimming platform. Would this boat be powerful enough for the tubing, and does anyone know of the quality of Thundercraft boats. I cannot find any info on them. Thanks in advance again.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '88 170 Runabout

Can you post a pic of it? There were 2 companies that were called Thundercraft, the one I'm familar with built boats in Quebec, Canada. Not sure where the other one was built but usually the Canadian one had THUNDERCRAFT all in caps and the other one was more like ThunderCraft.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Without knowing the shape/condition of the boat, hard to say but assuming all is well, I don't see why not. That motor would be rated around 120HP? (I believe the new 3.0 Mercruisers are 135HP) For a single adult on a tube I see no issues. I pull 2 adults with several in the boat on a large tube (10ft x 7.5ft) with my 17' deck boat and a 115HP Johnson OB.

Without knowing the hull characteristics and the prop setup, you may have lag getting out the hole, but with tubing (unlike water skiing) you can afford the couple of extras seconds to get up on plane.

If you intend to wakeboard or waterski, you'd need to provide more information to truly determine that.

jasonneal

Seaman Apprentice

Here are a couple of pics. I am not sure where the boat was made. On another thread in this forum I was told to check with a company called Doral about these boats. Thanks again.

boat.jpg

boat2.jpg

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking boat! I can't really see the name on the side but I'd be willing to bet it's not the THUNDERCRAFT from Canada which Doral ended up with some of it after they went out of business in the early 90's. The black frame around the windshield and the style of it makes me think it was built in the US. Scroll down about 6 threads and look in the one titled Thundercraft Gallery, there are a couple that look similar (I think)

jasonneal

Seaman Apprentice

Okay look at this pic a little larger. You can almost read the writing on the side. If it is the THUNDER CRAFT boat does that mean it is not a very good boat?

boat3.jpg

jasonneal

Seaman Apprentice

Okay looking at the larger pic I posted of the port quarter it appears the logo is THUNDER CRAFT. I have looked the web over and back, somewhat, and have only found boats with the following logos; Thunder Craft TC, or Thunder Craft in cursive, either in sticker lettering or also metal or plastic raised lettering. I have yet to find another boat with the THUNDER CRAFT in all caps as this boat appears to have. Boatin Bob mentioned a company out of Canada that used all caps. Is this a desirable or at least tolerable vessel? I am notorious for buying others' trash due to my lack of patience and knowledge. That is a depressing revelation. Good thing I have broadband internet service, I am dialing the suicide hotline right now. HaHa

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Jason....the THUNDERCRAFT that were built in Canada put their name together so it came out as 1 word with no space in between. I'm pretty sure that yours was built in the US but there is no reason to think there was anything wrong with it. I just don't know any of the history of that company.

It's a 20 year old boat now and it's not so much a question of quality but of how it was maintained? Do you due dilligence and check the floor for soft spots, take a little hammer and tap the stringers and transom for soft spots. Look at the oil in the engine, do a compression check (if you can) If it's ok it should do what you want it for.

jasonneal

Seaman Apprentice

Okay I follow what you are saying. This boat appears to have a space between the THUNDER and the CRAFT. You had mentioned the black around the windows earlier and I did see a couple of boats on the gallery and other places that have that. The seller states the boat had been winterized every year and kept in dry storage. The seller also states he had all new carpet,vinyl, and wood put in the interior. Just hypothetically if the boat were in good condition would two grand be too much for this boat? Again I really am thankful for all of the input.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

$2000 for that boat (in my opinion) would be a great deal. But as others have stated, be sure the boat itself is in good shape (stringers, floor, transom) and that the motor is as well. If you're not comfortable assessing its condition, have a marine surveyor do it for you. At least then you can assess the value of the boat (price plus any maintenance/repair costs) In the long run, it will provide you piece of mind.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

If the condition is like you said (sounds like it was well taken care of), I'm not sure if that includes the trailer in the pic? If it does then it sounds like a really good deal. See if the owner has any receipts for the work done (winterization, storage, any of the recent work done). Of course I would make a water test as part of the offer.