Considering buying an 18 hp Evinrude Fastwin

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,

I'm considering buying the boat motor listed in this ad on craig's list:

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/boa/801966692.html

The guy doesn't know any information on the motor, but I'm pretty sure by looking at it that it is an 18 hp Evinrude Fastwin 1960's model.

The guy has sort of a fishy story of how he acquired the boat. He said that he loaned a friend money on the boat and his friend didn't pay him, so he got the boat. That's why he doesn't have any paperwork on the boat or trailer. But, I'm only considering buying the motor (which doesn't require a title) because I've got a 14 ft. jon boat that I've got an evinrude 1957 7.5 hp fleetwin on and I'd like to have some more power.

He doesn't have the gas tank for the motor, but he says it will fire right up if you spray ether in the carb.

So, I asked the guy what he wanted for just the motor. He said $225. I was thinking of offering something lower, like $175. What do you guys think? Is the motor worth that?

Also, does this motor take a normal boat motor gas tank like modern boat motors use? My 1957 Fleetwin takes a pressurized tank, and I don't want to spend the money on this motor, and then have to spend a lot more money trying to get the right gas tank.

Thanks for any comments you have.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Considering buying an 18 hp Evinrude Fastwin

I think these have a fuel pump so no need for a pressure tank. $175 would be fair. I'd just be concerned about any damage done while starting it "with ether" which has no lubricating properties. 2 strokes should be started with mixed fuel sprayed into the carbs. Hopefully he didn't do it too many times.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If he's got the boat/motor on a good trailer, insist on a test run at a nearby lake. That's not a bad price for a good used Fastwin with a known history and paperwork, but might be risky if his story is false. Buying as is, I would offer him $125...will probably need at least $100 of maintenance stuff, unless you are real lucky.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it uses the single line new tanks. it is as easy to work on as your 57. if it has good even compression, the rest can usually be reliable for $200-250.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys!

I bought the motor for $200, but it's not what I thought it was. The guy told me that he didn't know the horsepower but he said he thought it was at least 15 and when I looked at the picture, I was sure it was an 18 hp fastwin. When I got the motor home and looked up the model number, it is actually a 1962 10 hp Sportwin. So, I guess that might be egg on my face for not doing more research before I bought it. The motor did not come with a gas tank, so I went down to the local jon boat dealer and bought a gas tank for $20, but they were out of fuel lines for it. The fuel line is $40. I cleaned it up and greezed it. It looks pretty good. I checked the coils and the look new. I changed the lower unit oil and it didn't have any water in it. I took a look at the pistins through the spark plug holes and they look pretty black with carbon, but I guess that's normal. I think it has good compression. Once I can get my hands on some fuel line, I will be able to test it and see whether or not it runs good. The guy I bought it from swore that it is a good running motor, but I can't really believe him because he also said it was a 1974 15 hp. It's a 1962 10 hp. So...

I do have one question, if anyone reads this far in the post lol. If the motor does have good compression and runs good, do you think I should worry at all about taking the head off and cleaning some of the carbon off the pistins?

tashasdaddy

leave the head one, once running do a decarb, with seafoam. it's an exlax for the motor.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can buy a fuel line at walley world for less than $20. I went to look at an old Evinrude a few months ago, the guy said it was a an 18hp but it turned out to be a 10hp. Should of bought it.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

leave the head one, once running do a decarb, with seafoam. it's an exlax for the motor.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

Thanks a lot for the instructions Tashasdaddy. Should I be able to get Seafoam at an autoparts store such as Advanced Auto Parts or even Walmart?

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can buy a fuel line at walley world for less than $20. I went to look at an old Evinrude a few months ago, the guy said it was a an 18hp but it turned out to be a 10hp. Should of bought it.

Thanks a lot, I'll check Walmart. You may have saved me $20 :D

tashasdaddy

Advance has seafoam, back with the carb cleaner, etc.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to walmart yesturday and bought a can of seafoam.

I think that they do carry the fuel line, but they were sold out. They had about 3 different types. The one that was out said "OMC". So, I guess that's the one I need. Do I need to be buying 1/4 inch fuel line?

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Generally what I see at wally world is a bulb with line on both ends and no connectors for an OMC. So you have to buy 2 connectors. Just clamp them on and make sure the flow arrow on the bulb is pointing towards the motor. I use 5/16 line when I make up my own.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a connector that will connect the fuel line to the motor. Do I need to buy another connector for the fuel line to connect to the fuel tank? If so, what kind of connector would this be?

jbjennings

Captain

The fuel line connector to an omc tank is identical to the connector to the motor. ---love those fastwins!:)
JBJ

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

WalMart definitely has them already made up with connections on both ends. Go to different WalMarts until you find the right one.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. My girlfriend's father is an old boater, and he had some spare fuel line and connectors sitting around his shop. So, last Saturday we hooked it up and cranked it up in a test tank. She ran very well. So, we took her down to the river and it ran very well. I'm really surprised with how much more power this motor has over my 7.5 hp. What a difference 2.5 additional horses makes. I guess it's probably geared to have more power and the prop probably has something to do with it too.

Anyway, there was only one small problem that I had with the motor. The throttle had a lot of play in it. For example, when I twist the grip to fast and the motor is running wide open, it would allow me to turn the handle all the way back to start before the motor would respond and slow down. When I got it back home, I looked at it and realized that there was a small plastic piece that connects those gear looking things at the back of the tiller handle with the rod that goes up into the motor to the throttle linkage. That plastic piece was broken, so I fabricated a new one out of a piece of aluminum. The throttle is better, but still has some play in it. I noticed that the gear thing that is at the back of the tiller handle feels really lose. I tried to take it off, but I couldn?t figure out how to take it off. I have ordered a parts manual off of ebay, so maybe I'll be able to tell you the actual names of these parts when I get it.

I have one other question. How do you set the carburetor on a 1962 10hp Sportwin?