Trying to make sense of different MK Powerdrive models

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently own a MK PD50 which is an older "white-head" style PD.
I am looking at upgrading to a 24v unit (probably 70#) with Autopilot and maybe Universal Sonar. I don't think I can justify the extra expense of the Terrova though it looks very nice.

I've read many of the threads here on the V2 vs. Terrova's but was there another "black head" version of the PD before the V2? I've been shopping on ebay, cabelas etc. and some of the models are not labeled V2, though they have the newer "black head" design. Biggest thing I noticed was that some of these models had Universal Sonar vs. Universal Sonar 2 and the foot pedals are different.

1. If I am correct in assuming there are 2 different "black head" versions (standard vs. V2) are there any major difference in turning/steering speeds/response between them?

2. Likewise, are there any differences in AP between the 2 versions?

3. lastly, how big a difference between US and US2?
(I currently run a Humminbird 565 up front - looks like the US2 version supports the dual cone feature in my 565, not sure with US.)

Basically, I'm just looking for models to stay away from if they had any common or known issues. Especially with the AP and US/US2 features. FWIW - I've had my current PD for 3 years and I'm well aware of foot pedal issues - I keep mine indoors and haven't any problems at all.

Thank you for any help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to make sense of different MK Powerdrive models

You are correct in that there are two versions of the PD with the black, pointy head. You can tell the difference by the deploy mechanism. The V2 has a handle that you push down on to pop the motor overboard. The original version had a loop style handle. Steering response is slightly faster on the V2 (I own both). Otherwise the motors are quite similar in both the autopilot and universal sonar. I have no issues with either version. The V2 also has a small, round connector for the foot pedal whereas the original PD had a rather flat looking connector. The pedals are different and not interchangeable.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Different Powerdrive model confusion

Different Powerdrive model confusion

You are correct in that there are two versions of the PD with the black, pointy head. You can tell the difference by the deploy mechanism. The V2 has a handle that you push down on to pop the motor overboard. The original version had a loop style handle. Steering response is slightly faster on the V2 (I own both). Otherwise the motors are quite similar in both the autopilot and universal sonar. I have no issues with either version. The V2 also has a small, round connector for the foot pedal whereas the original PD had a rather flat looking connector. The pedals are different and not interchangeable.

Thank you Silvertip!! I'm hoping mine is the PD version which I can update to the the AP especially after reading ST's post above. I'll post a link to picture's since I'm confused which I own (newbie owner and no manual) ..fingerscrossed :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/highpurity/MinnkotaPd?authkey=4YWoYupfDsY&feat=directlink

thanks for any help