vent hole help

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
'87, Bayliner, 3.0 OMC runs great no problems whatsoever cruising, or tubing, but when we try to pull a skier, there is a slight hesitation/bog off idle, but once it revs a little it pulls good from there up. It seems like its just under powered (which it prob is) with that much load, and needs to get wound up to really start pulling, Almost like the prop needs to slip a little bit initially to let the engine rev a little then take off. We are on a 13 3/4 X15 prop, Would puting some vent holes in it help with this? I know it wont be as effective as an outboard, but thought it might give it just that little bit?
The thing already overrevs as is, so even though going to a 13p prop might help id rather not have to do that.

I was thinking about trying it this weekend, and worst that happens i have to plug them off. Any thoughts or suggestions.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: vent hole help

no takers?

OK any other suggestions then?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

As long as you still have thru prop exhaust (not many 3.0s have thru transom exhaust) venting will work fine. Is it a 3 or 4 blade prop?

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 3 blade.

maybe a 4 blade 13P would be better, let it spool faster, and have more blade area to push harder?

If it was a car Id say it needed a little higher stall speed in the converter, just to let the engine get revved a little more before starting to pull. My sister said she didnt have any trouble getting up behind it, but as a driver it seems like it could be better yet. In reality a bigger engine is prob the answer, but we arent doing that just yet.