Transom questions

Tazman282

Seaman
So far I have gutted the entire boat and now trying to refit the new transom. After evaluating the situation I wanted some opinions on how to go about doing this. As you can see in the pictures there is a rather cracked top layer on the transom that can either be removed or in some way fixed. Also, in the pictures below you will see that where the wood would be replaced it extends beyond an area that is visible. Do I fit four pieces of wood so I can fit them in behind the wall or cut out the entire section and go from there? I thought there might be a cap of some sort but after removing the rub rail it is connected to the transom so I could not remove it unless it was cut out. I am just not sure how to do this. Any ideas!

Also, in the pictures below I added some of the gel coat. Do I need to sand and gel coat again or can I just sand it with extra fine sand paper and then add in some kind of finisher filler for the cracks and then wax?

Any advice that you have for this boat is highly appreciated, I feel like I have gotten in way over my head but hopefully it will all work out in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

Tazman282

Seaman
Re: Transom questions

Does anyone want to comment, hoping to get started again in the morning. Looking for some sort of direction. Thanks

Tazman282

Seaman

Well, I guess another dead end for me. I think I am just going to cut out the side walls to accommodate the transom wood then just fiberglass them back in. I hope it comes out good just don't know how else to do it.

Tazman

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes weekends are little slow, so don't be discouraged by no answers yet.

I'm a little confused though about cutting the plywood into four pieces, not sure why you would need to, a slight trimming at the outer edges where it needs to be tucked into would be easy.

The gel coat repairs need to be sanded before you can tell what else may need to done. It's possible all you need to do after that is buff and wax, if more filling needs to be done then just use gel coat. If the cracks you're trying to fill are from flexing or stress, then you need to use glass to do the repair or it will just crack again very soon.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I'm surprised you didn' get more answers. It must have been a great weekend for boating.

I'm no expert but a few comments -
Most transoms are replaced with the top of the boat removed.
Cut that top lip out of the way. Cut the top of the sides so you can slip ONE piece of plywood down to fit between the sides.
Don't cut the wood. You need the transom to be strong. Cutting the thing up into smaller pieces will not make the transom strong.
Transom should be 1 1/2" thick, 2 pieces of plywood and needs to be attached to that outer skin. Butter the heck out of it to ensure you don't get voids between the old skin and the new wood.
Then glass the inside to the deck and sides with progressively wider strips.

Tazman282

Seaman

Well I started cutting before I got your posts but I think it will come out good once it is done anyway. There is a lid on the boat but the floor, transom, and foam was done before the invention of this website or a good book for them to use I guess. Anyway, they had glassed the lid onto the transom and then the sidewalls. Then when they foamed it they put it in any hole they could find and it was like glue to the outside walls so without tearing the walls up there was really no way to get it off.

I decided to cut a one-foot section on both sides and my idea is to make some storage and a splashguard for the motor, which will also hide all the wires and cables. This will take about a foot from the back of the boat but that splashguard will be a good addition.

Here are some pictures of the cardboard that will be used as a template for the wood. Do you think it is to high or to close to the engine? Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Also, any idea what kind of bug this is? I saw one yesterday as well. Never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • Back2.jpg
    Back2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

The bug's a velvet ant, also sometimes called "cow killers." They're actually wingless wasps. Nasty stinger on them, too. Google it up. Interesting critters, but don't pick 'em up. They'll teach you not to pretty quickly.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Look fine.
Just tilt the motor up and flip it from one side to the other.
Put the motor cover on.
Make sure it does not hit the transom.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Look fine.
Just tilt the motor up and flip it from one side to the other.
Put the motor cover on.
Make sure it does not hit the transom.

yup ^^^^^

then use the template you made and start cutting wood......use whole sheets of ply.....and fiber glass them togeather....then tab them in....the hull extension thread has detailed pics....make your new transom the same thickeness of the old......