motorguide problem

RKD Jim

Recruit
My son has an issue with a Motorguide trolling motor that I'm trying to help him with. The problem, other than the issue with the motor, is I am in Wisconsin and he's in Florida. The issue is the motor didn't work when he bought the boat. He contacted someone at a marina and the guy told him one of the switches on the foot-pedal was bad if he could jump power into the power-head and that would work. He did that and the armature works. He changed all three switches on the foot-pedal and has power to the head. When he hooks up the wires to the red and black wires that go down the shaft to the armature, it will not operate. There are also blue and yellow wires that come from the rotory switch (variable speed) that go down the shaft to the armature. As far as I can tell over the phone and looking at wiring diagrams, herein lies the problem. Is there something we are missing or is there something in the armature that could be broken or damaged that doesn't allow power to be routed through the rotary switch to the armature. Any help would be greatly appreciated.