bedding stringers

seagenie1

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what material that I should use under the new stringers that I will be installing. I have heard that some people use foam so they don't create hard spots between the wood and the hull. I have also thjought about methacrylate as a possible option. The boat is a 25 ft dusky center console. Any help would be great.

redfury

Commander
Re: bedding stringers

PL Premium adhesive. Run a good bead of it and bed it with that. It'll stay pliable enough to avoid hard spots, and secure the stringer to the hull so you can tab or encapsulate it with fiberglass.

Robj

Lieutenant

Peanut butter. Do a search there is alot of info on bedding stringers.

Have a great day,

Rob.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On a 25' er time might not be an issue but if you use pl premium, you need to be sure it is fully cured before you do your glassing or the glass won't stick to the pl premium.

seagenie1

Seaman Apprentice

What is this peanut butter that you all are referring to is it a glass and filler mixture or can you buy it.

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

I belive you can buy it and then mix the catalysist. Its just glass ground down into very fine bits ( like sand) then you mix it with resin and catalyst and tada you get peanut butter!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Peanut butter is a mix of resin, cabosil, glass bubbles or micro balloons, and fiberglass fibers for strength. Haven't seen it sold prepackaged. Some guys have used wood flour in place of cabosil. Do a search for the proportions