cavitation from picking up sea grass

rich bellem

Recruit
I have a 2004 smokercraft with 50HP honda 4 stroke. Whenever I pass over grass my engine cavitates and I need to stop and reverse to clear. Is there something available to deflect sea grass other then a center toon .
Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: cavitation from picking up sea grass

first you are not suppose to cross sea grass, ruins the environment. i Fl, it is a big offense. no just stop and clear your prop. also one other fact is running thru it is a good way to clog you water pickup, and impeller.

rich bellem

Recruit

I should have said floating seagrass which is unavoidable in boating channels this time of year.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would imagine the reason you can't find anyhting is because there isn't a way to do that without cavitating the prop.

Anything you put in front of the prop to catch or divert weeds would certainly cause you to cavitate.

If you find the solution you could have a good inventionon your hands.

quantico

Cadet

i doubt you are having any cavitation issues. Cavitation is boiling of the prop surface due to extreme pressure drop. You are likely having some ventilation issues which is air getting onto the smooth stream of water for your prop. I would try to avoid areas with loose sea grass, and maybe reverse your prop from time to time to clear any buildup.